Senior Highways Officer
Job Number: HCC17573
Directorate: Environment & Infrastructure
Salary Range: £35,745 pa progressing to £43,857 pa + £2,000 pa Market Forces
Hours: 37 per week
Contract Type: Permanent
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Diversity: We are an inclusive employer and value a diverse workforce
Hertfordshire truly is the County of Opportunity. Hertfordshire County Council offers an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated and enthusiastic Senior Transport Planner, with a focus on assessing the highway impacts of developments and providing responses to local authorities. You’ll join our specialist Highways Development Management Team at an exciting time for the county, as you help to facilitate safe and highly sustainable development across Hertfordshire against the backdrop of anticipated housing growth in the County in the region of 100,000 homes by 2031.
What the role will include:
- Representing the Highway Authority at planning appeals, including supporting team members at Public Inquiries and Local Plan Examination Inquiries.
- Evaluating and reporting upon the transport implications of planning applications.
- Providing support to the process of negotiating with developers and their consultants on contributions to transportation infrastructure.
- Ensuing other team members and key stakeholders are involved/consulted as early as possible, creating positive working relationships both internally and externally.
- Assisting the Head of Development Management to deliver various projects
What we’d like to see from the perfect Senior Highway Officer:
- A good depth of and breadth of technical knowledge in the highways sector.
- Or hold a degree in a closely related discipline.
- An understanding of transport related and regeneration issues; knowledge of the development planning process.
- Good appreciation of the political context within which the service operates, demonstrating awareness of the wider implications (e.g. political/environmental).
This role is a fantastic opportunity for an individual with relevant experience to their knowledge in the highway sector where you will be considering development proposals involving strategic and local schemes.
Closing Date: 3 October 2021
Interview Date: w.c. 11 October 2021
For an informal discussion and more information please contact: Manjinder Sehmi, Development Manager on 01992 556128 [email protected]; or Mark Youngman Group Manager on 01992 588024 [email protected],
Benefits of Working for HCC:
• Flexible Working Arrangements (depending on the role)
• Excellent Career Development
• Salary Exchange for Additional Benefits
• Excellent Pension Scheme with Employer Contributions
• Shopping Discounts
• Support Groups & Wellbeing Schemes
How to Apply: Please follow the 'Apply for Job' button at the bottom of the screen or click here. As part of the application you will be required to upload your most recent CV ensuring gaps in employment have been addressed and includes your current, or most recent, employer. You are also asked to provide a supporting statement which is your opportunity to evidence how your skills, knowledge and experience match what we are looking for based on the Person Specification area of the attached Job Outline. If you do not supply a supporting statement, your application will be rejected.
Important Note re Interviews: Where we are able to, and in accordance with current COVID-19 Government guidelines in regard to social distancing, all interviews will be held virtually via Microsoft Teams. Full details on how this will work will be sent to you, should you be shortlisted for an interview.
Overseas Applications: We will accept applications from all applicants from outside, as well as from within the UK. Sponsorship opportunities may be available
Non Hard to Fill Roles
Overseas Applications: We will accept applications from all applicants who already have an established right to work in the UK. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide sponsorships for this post
English Fluency: The ability to converse at ease with members of the public and provide advice in accurate spoken English is essential for the post.
Disability Confident: We are proud to be a Disability Confident employer and guarantee an interview to anyone disclosing a disability whose application meets the minimum criteria for the post.
Why Hertfordshire: Watch our ‘Why Hertfordshire’ video. Our staff use their own words to tell their story and share their experiences of what it is like working here. Take your next step in your career.
Hertfordshire County Council is currently undertaking a review of its pay structure and terms and conditions. The council is undertaking this review as part of its commitment to continuing to be an employer of choice, by ensuring that its pay and terms and conditions are relevant to future working practices. You can read more about this on our website