Bus Business Development Manager (Bus Business Development Team, Bus Operations)
Southwark, London SE1
£50,000 - £55,000 per annum depending on skills, knowledge and experience, plus benefits
London Buses carry the lion’s share of passengers across the capital, offering one of the most affordable and accessible means of travel for up to six million journeys a day, across more than 600 routes. We are also leading the decarbonisation of public transport to tackle climate change with plans to make the fleet zero emission no later than 2034 and driving forward plans to eradicate fatalities involving buses by 2030.
Our bus network is well connected and served by 9,000 vehicles, with our bus contracts worth around £2 billion a year. This makes Bus Operations one of the most dynamic and high-profile places to work, and a great place to get experience in an internationally recognised business.
We are looking for two people to join our successful team to ensure our high profile and exciting journey to zero emission can be accomplished. Whether it is helping to set the strategy, reporting on progress, working with operators on their projects, assessing new ideas or driving forward pilots - these roles bring together a mix of analysis, commercial, stakeholder management and implementation in one place.
The Bus Business Development team is flexible and dynamic and also covers areas such as market competition and garage property strategy. Furthermore, the roles may be required to support the implementation of other commercial strategies and contracting policy, to ensure that the London Bus Network continues to deliver value for money and service quality that meet passenger expectations, the Mayor’s policy objectives and achieves TfL's KPIs and financial targets.
As we are in the public eye, the team must also engage with a variety of influential stakeholders and promote our activities to internal and external audiences. As our operational environment is dynamic and changes on regular basis, the roles will require individuals that can adapt quickly and work collaboratively to meet business priorities. The role will also require the individual to make recommendations to inform decision-making and matrix managing delivery partners.
• Lead on key activities to support the decarbonisation of the bus fleet.
• Supporting the Senior Bus Business Development Manager in ongoing and specific commercial engagement with bus operators and industry/suppliers across a range of areas, including the implementation of new vehicle technologies (by producing analysis to help in the setting of targets and then monitoring outcomes against those targets) and influencing garage property strategy and development.
• Assist the Senior Bus Business Development Manager in developing and implementing changes to existing contractual arrangements, through negotiation with bus operating companies, where appropriate.
• Support the Senior Bus Business Development Manager in ensuring tendering and contracting activities undertaken for the Bus Operations directorate follow the agreed governance and legal compliance policies and procedures.
• Utilise systems, technology and processes to support and manage bus service tendering, contracting and performance management activities; including the analysis and preparing reports on financial information, benchmarking and efficiencies and to assist in evaluating market trends, the levels of profitability within the bus market and industry to input into long term financial and business planning.
• Understanding the London and wider bus market to provide market intelligence to support continued competition and market entry. To support key negotiations relating to any potential mergers and acquisitions.
• Identify and suggest continuous improvement opportunities and ongoing development of all aspects of London Buses tendering and contracting policies. Reporting on efficiency, innovation, performance improvement and best practice.
• Work as an integrated manager across the Bus Business Development team, in particular supporting peers and the Senior Bus Business Development Manager in both the management and development of the team and delivering our business objectives.
Candidates need a good balance of existing skills, knowledge and/or experience and potential in the following areas:
• Excellent written, numeracy, IT, oral and presentation skills and the ability to explain and present performance results and analysis to senior management and bus companies.
• Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with people at all levels across the organisation and outside.
• Ability to influence people at different levels within the organisation and outside, including negotiating and successfully facilitating joint decision-making.
• Excellent analytical skills and sufficient knowledge of issues to evaluate options and recommend solutions and decisions.
• Build effective working relations (partnering) with people at all levels across the organisation and outside.
• Educated to degree level, or equivalent.
• Understanding of TfL and Bus Operations' business objectives.
• Understand and appreciate the political landscape and the Mayor's objectives for public transport improvements, including the environment, safety or patronage.
• A good understanding of European and UK Procurement Law.
• Good supplier sourcing and contract development and/or strong general commercial background, preferably in the public transport sector.
• Implementing and helping to develop commercial policies, standards, processes, procedures, business improvement, and performance management.
• Legal factors, financial controls and procurement processes and techniques.
• Experience of public transport operating practices desirable, ideally within the bus operating environment.
• Experience of operating in a dynamic working environment, handling multiple tasks and deadlines, delivering to time, budget, and quality
• Track record of managing and negotiating contractual issues
• Working in a strategy, project or sponsorship environment.
• Accountability for delivering against targets.
• Experience of working in matrix-managed environments.
• Working within governance frameworks.
• Developing, managing and maintaining relationships with suppliers and other key stakeholders.
• Representing an organisation to internal and external stakeholders.
In return for your commitment and expertise, you will enjoy excellent benefits and scope to grow. Rewards vary according to the business area but mostly include:
• Final salary pension scheme
• Free travel for you on the TfL network
• A 75% discount on National Rail Season Ticket and interest free loan
• 29/30 days’ annual leave plus public and bank holidays
• Private healthcare discounted scheme (optional)
• Tax-efficient cycle-to-work programme
• Retail, health, leisure and travel offers
• Discounted Eurostar travel
On applying, you will need to upload a CV and a two-page covering letter setting out how your experience fits with this role.
Closing date: 23:59 on Sunday 17 October 2021.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, age or disability status.