Senior Economic Analyst
Salary £39,514 - £44,453 + £3,100 Inner London Allowance
About the company and department
Network Rail owns, operates and maintains the railway infrastructure in England, Wales and Scotland on behalf of the nation, and we are dedicated to providing a safe and reliable experience to the millions of passengers using Europe’s fastest-growing railway every single day. We also plan and deliver a bigger, better railway, supporting the nation’s economic and social well-being both now and into the future.
About the team…
Within Network Rail the ‘System Operator’ leads the long-term planning of the railway on behalf of the rail industry. We plan tomorrow's railway taking into account the needs of its users – both passenger and freight – and the objectives of our funders and stakeholders. And within the System Operator the Economic Analysis team provides wide-ranging, cutting-edge analysis to colleagues planning the future of the railways. Our skills include passenger demand forecasting, rail industry economics, investment scheme development and appraisal.
Who are you looking for?
We are looking for enthusiastic individuals with highly-developed analytical skills and an interest in rail / transport to manage and deliver cutting-edge, informative and influential analysis and advice to our clients.
What will I be doing in the role?
This is a great opportunity to join our established and diverse team to support the development of some of the most exciting infrastructure projects in Europe – from Crossrail 2 to the “Northern Powerhouse Rail” proposals - you will be helping our clients develop and appraise strategy to deliver a bigger, better rail network.
On a day-to-day basis the role is diverse - from managing relationships with clients, developing rail demand forecasts and investment cases, developing our modelling toolkit, to presenting and communicating your analysis to rail industry leaders.
What skills and experiences are required?
• Numerate degree level education or relevant experience.
• Experience and knowledge of transport appraisal and demand forecasting
• Experience of analysing large datasets and using complex analytical frameworks to support decisions.
• Project management experience, delivering small to medium sized research and appraisal projects
• Experience of delegating specific tasks and supervising others in the completion of these tasks.
• Shown ability to innovate and build solutions to complex modelling issues;
• Good presentation skills adjusting presentation style to differing audiences;
• Validated ability in drafting technical notes which are clear and concise and understood by others;
• Good appreciation of project risk issues and application of these to day-to-day tasks.
We would also like but not essential
• Masters degree in related field (transport planning, economics etc…)
• Experience of working in a regulatory environment.
• Understanding of financial/business plan information.
• Good understanding of the economic issues faced by Network Rail
• Experience of using database software or Geographical Information Systems
Click here and apply via our website (using reference IRC2158424)
Closing date: 3rd September 2019.