Position: Public Transport Lead Officer
Location: Aylesbury, England
Industry: Public Sector and Government
Salary: £42,698 - £44,888 per annum + generous pension, agile/flex working+ more
Following the government's announcement of the new National Bus Strategy, we are looking to recruit a keen and experienced individual to lead the development and delivery of Buckinghamshire’s Bus Service Improvement Plan and Enhanced Partnership. You will also lead the implementation of two exciting new Demand Responsive Transport schemes starting in 2022 as well as a range of other public transport activities.
You will join our small but friendly Public Transport Team which manages our tendered bus services, relationships with bus operators, the Concessionary Travel Scheme, bus service information, publicity and bus stop infrastructure. We are part of the wider Transport Services Department which covers school and social care transport and the Fleet Management Team.
All our office-based roles are currently working from home and we anticipate that home working will continue for some of our working weeks in future. You will also need to travel around the County for some meetings and site visits. When our offices fully re-open your office base will be at our Walton Street Offices, Aylesbury. We have a good technology platform using Microsoft Teams enabling you to connect and coll aborate remotely. We ask that you have in place good Broadband connectivity.
About the role
This is a new and exciting opportunity for someone who has a passion for developing, improving and delivering public transport services for the benefit of residents. Excellent communication and influencing skills are required as you will be dealing with a wide range of people, both internal and external, and you will need to develop good relationships with all local bus operators.
The role has come about because of the National Bus Strategy and you will need a good working knowledge of public transport legislation and experience of working within a public transport environment, both developing and delivering services. You will also have good previous experience in project management, stakeholder engagement, data analysis and reporting.
You will also play a lead role in the public transport team, supporting the Head of Service to deliver our Servi ce Plan and work with our partners to improve public transport services across the County. This will include managing the tendered bus network, developing community transport and delivering sustainable transport solutions for new developments.
The starting salary for this role is £42,698 per annum.
• Lead the delivery work on the National Bus Strategy, working with bus operators and other stakeholders to form an Enhanced Partnership (EP) and develop the Buckinghamshire Bus Service Improvement Plan (BSIP).
• Manage the delivery of improvements identified in the BSIP, working with bus operators and other teams to ensure that both Buckinghamshire Council’s and the bus operators’ commitments in the Enhanced Partnership are delivered effectively and in a timely way.
• Report 6-monthly on the achievement of identified targets to the Dept for Transport, senior managers and Members.
• Lead the mobilisation and delivery of two new Demand Responsive Transport schemes due to start in April 2022; including actively managing both contracts to increase mode share, maximise value for money and ensure the projects deliver against the aims of the government’s Rural Mobility Fund.
Skills & Experience
You should have the following:
• Qualification to degree level or equivalent in a relevant discipline.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Excellent policy and project management skills.
• Experience of a public transport operational or transport planning role, working at a high level in delivering public transport services.
• Knowledge of national policies & legislation covering public transport, an understanding of the requirements of the National Bus Strategy and the legislation and guidance for Enhanced Partnerships.
• Experience of commissioning public transport services.
• The ability to act as the Council’s expert adviser on operational practices and regulations governing Local Bus Services
The closing date for applications is Midnight 4th October 2021
Likely interview dates: w/c 11th October 2021
Interviews will take place via video technology; candidates will also be asked to complete a desktop exercise.
For an informal chat about this role in more detail, please contact Andy Clarke, Head of Public Transport, on 01296 383468.
We recognise and reward you
Hard work and success deserves recognition. That’s why we pride ourselves on the benefits we give our people. We actively encourage a good work-life balance and promote flexible and agile working arrangements. We provide discounts on various Cafes, restaurants, shops and auto enrolment onto our generous Pension Schem e. We also offer a salary sacrifice personal car lease scheme and the opportunity to gain membership to Costco. We have discounted gym memberships, Travel discounts with Arriva and Chiltern Railways and much more.