Job Title: Strategic Lead - Transport
Job ref: 335002250
Full Time (37 hours)
Salary: £43,757 - £48,331
Location: Milton Keynes
Closing Date: 24/02/2019
Milton Keynes is a rapidly expanding, vibrant and dynamic place to live, work and play. How better to contribute to that continued success than through a unique and rewarding career with Milton Keynes Council? So if you’re looking for an excellent benefits package and the chance to make a difference, make a move to Milton Keynes Council.
Milton Keynes is regarded as one of the world's leading cities for transport innovation and the Council has ambitious plans to double the population to 500,000 people over the next 30 years. To ensure the transport network can accommodate this growth we need to revolutionise the delivery of passenger transport. This role is pivotal in leading that transformation; progressing projects and programmes that utilise new technologies and innovative business models in partnership with private sector providers to deliver attractive services for those who live and work here.
• Plan and deliver projects and programmes to transform passenger transport in Milton Keynes
• Manage £10m capital and revenue budgets to support the delivery of passenger transport
• Ensure effective integration of council provided services with commercial operations
• Oversee the safe and efficient operation of the council’s own vehicle fleet.
Experience, Qualifications and any Mandatory Requirements
• Knowledge of traffic and transportation issues
• Experience of delivering projects in partnership with commercial stakeholders
• Post-graduate qualification (or equivalent).
• Understanding of and ability to apply project management techniques
• Ability to manage, supervise and co-ordinate output from staff and external consultants
• Working with elected councillors in a politically sensitive environment
• Ability to prioritise a wide range of complex work areas
• Strong communicator, able to articulate ideas clearly with a range of diverse stakeholders.
• Agile working is encouraged, with technology provided to enable remote working if desired
• Milton Keynes is recognised as one of the UK's leading cities for transport innovation, presenting an excellent career development opportunity.
Milton Keynes Council Benefits
Use your skills to benefit the local community and experience a rewarding, interesting environment and attractive employment package such as:
• Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates
• A generous minimum holiday entitlement of 27 days per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years
• Option to buy more annual leave
• A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements
• Excellent in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership and Management
• Flexibility – with full time, part time and term time working options
• Fair pay and a commitment to a minimum Living Wage
• MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings including retail, travel and leisure discounts as well as a suite of salary sacrifice benefits.
Closing date: 24th of February 2019
Interview Date: 4th of March 2019
At Milton Keynes Council we take great pride in our Community and we hope that you can help us grow and share our vision.