Sustainable Travel Planning Officer - (21815)
Working Hours: Full-time
Salary: Up to £26,000 per annum
Primary Location: Chelmsford
Closing Date (Period for Applying) - External: 18/03/19
Job summary and Responsibilities
Essex County Council (ECC) is one of the largest and most dynamic local authorities in the UK, serving a population of 2 million residents, and has a very successful track record of delivering transformational change. ECC anticipated change was needed in the public sector and has worked to deliver better quality at lower cost. We have an ambitious transformation agenda – one with the scope to reach every part of the council. We are changing the way we think, the way we work, and the ways in which we deliver our services. We are committed to becoming a place where individuals, partners and communities feel proud to play their role and genuinely want to belong. We’re immensely proud of our flexible working options.
Over the coming years, the Highways and Transportation team will strive to modernise the service, specifically around leveraging value from technology and raising customer engagement.
The Sustainable Travel Planning Officer will be responsible for promoting credible alternatives to the private car through a menu of Travel Planning measures throughout Essex. Assisting with the co-ordination, development, implementation and monitoring of sustainable Travel Plans, both voluntary and those secured through the planning process, in line with relevant policies to encourage modal shift throughout Essex.
The role will champion sustainable travel initiatives, ensuring tenacious delivery of Travel Planning, innovation and excellent communication, applying these skills to deliver a wide range of sustainability-led projects.
• Contribute to the development and delivery of new initiatives, supporting sustainable travel policies, working towards a leading authority Travel Plan model which is commercially based.
• Monitor, manage and promote the Essex County Council (ECC) Employee Travel Plan Schemes, including Pool Bikes, Car Share, Bike Loans, Public Transport Discounts and Business Travel.
• Work in partnership with employers and property developers to promote development and implementation of Business, Residential and School Travel Plans. Provide up-to-date information and assistance in relation to Travel Plans, exploring opportunities to promote alternatives to single car occupancy travel.
• Deliver professional advice and guidance on regular monitoring of Travel Plans to designated on site Travel Plan Co-ordinators. Utilise data analysis from Travel Surveys to agree modal shift targets and key indicators.
• Contribute to delivering the package of measures identified within the Sustainable Modes of Travel Strategy for Essex.
• Liaise with County and District officers, in response to relevant planning proposals ensuring sustainable travel issues are considered and implemented during the planning process. Provide recommendations and advice on Travel Plans (School, Business, Residential, Cluster and Area) promoting measures to reduce use of the private car.
• Work collaboratively with District/Borough/City Councils, internal and external stakeholders to develop travel information packs and other promotional material in support of sustainable travel.
• Represent and advise on sustainable travel options at local, regional and national meetings whilst researching best practice from other organisations and authorities.
• Promote the benefits of sustainable travel to colleagues, the public, businesses and other stakeholders.
• Specific individual and shared targets and objectives are defined annually within the performance management framework.
Knowledge, skills and experience
• Educated to degree level, or equivalent experience in government and local authority objectives for transport.
• Evidence of continuous professional development and good knowledge in professional area, with Associate Membership of Chartered Institute of Highways and Transportation.
• Knowledge of sustainable travel initiatives and/or development, implementation and monitoring of Travel Plans.
• Knowledge of national travel planning campaigns/initiatives (including cycling, walking and public transport).
• Proven track record in co-ordinating successful projects, with excellent organisational and project management skills.
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills with the ability to develop and deliver effective presentations.
• Ability to build strong working relationships and negotiate and influence partners, public transport operators and developers.
• Experienced user and/or advocate of public/sustainable transport.
Qualification certificates should be brought to interview.
As part of employment with Essex County Council (ECC) should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please go to https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service.
Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all its employees. More information can be found on https://www.workingforessex.com/benefits
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is key to our success.
If you have any queries regarding this role, or require anything further, please contact the Essex Recruitment Team on 033 005 83330*
*Calls to this number are charged in the same way as calls to numbers starting 01 or 02, please check with your service provider