Principal Officer - Transport Strategy
£43,857 – £49,449
About the team we are recruiting to
Coventry is a city that is changing fast – and we’re looking for skilled people to join our team and help take us into a bright new future. We are a city that is going places - with an inspiring, world-famous history and exciting times ahead.
We’ve been awarded UK City of Culture 2021; home to award-winning universities, top level sport and concerts and famous brands such as Jaguar and Severn Trent. We are a part of the ‘Midlands-Engine’, the home of the UK motor industry and a proud multicultural city.
Major developments are taking shape around the city, including a new look shopping centre, a water park, new business quarter, restaurants and a modernised rail station. More and more firms and families are relocating to our city as they see what we have to offer.
Coventry is a great place to live and work and it’s getting even better - and having the right infrastructure is vital.
That’s why we are looking for people who are passionate, dedicated people who, like us, are determined to make real, positive change to Coventry.
Headed by Chief Executive, Martin Reeves, the Council is committed to improving the quality of life for residents and making Coventry a top 10 city. We’re bringing in new, streamlined ways of working and making more use of technology to deliver services to the people who live and work in our city.
The Transport Strategy team is at the heart of this work, setting the transport policy framework for the Council and working to secure the funding needed to deliver the schemes that are transforming the city. So far, the team has secured the funding that is delivering:
• City Centre transformation – the biggest investment in city centre public realm for decades, all aimed at providing a suitable stage for City of Culture in 2021/22 and at regeneration of the heart of the city.
• The most extensive electric vehicle charging network in the country outside London, with over 200 charge points already installed and a further 100 on the way in the next six months.
• Electrification of the commercial vehicle fleet across the city, with ten electric buses already operating, electric taxis and 70 electric vehicles on order for the Council’s fleet.
• A network of fully segregated cycle routes with funding secured for the first two routes to Binley and Coundon.
• A £24.5 million Air Quality Action Plan to improve air quality within the city.
• A new railway station building and car park that will provide a suitable gateway to the city centre for visitors arriving by train.
• Research and development into an innovative Very Light Rail system that would be a first within the country, with vehicle and track now under construction ahead of testing in 2021.
• The Future Transport Zone – working with Transport for West Midlands to provide a testbed for demonstration projects showcasing new transport technology and ways of delivering transport services within the city.
We know how hard our people work in our Highways, Traffic and Transportation Teams, and what it means to have a great manager who makes the time to say 'thank you'. So, with us, your work will always be appreciated and recognised.
We also know that to recruit passionate, dedicated staff in Highways, Traffic and Transportation where there’s simply more demand than available resource, we show our appreciation in other, more tangible ways, too - to make Coventry City Council an attractive place to work in terms of the benefits we offer.
What is the job role?
The role involves leading a small, but dedicated, team of people responsible for developing and implementing Coventry’s transport strategy. This requires strong partnership working skills, liaising with the West Midlands Combined Authority, Transport for West Midlands, Midlands Connect and network managers and transport operators to ensure that Coventry’s voice is heard when regional transport strategies are prepared.
The team also takes the lead in preparing bids for funding from Government, the Local Enterprise Partnership, the Combined Authority and many other funding bodies to help deliver the transport schemes that are helping us to transform the city and support economic and housing growth. This aspect of the role requires expertise in business case development and in assembling the necessary evidence base, through transport modelling and data collection. The team provides a service to Council colleagues on monitoring transport trends and advising on the impact of these upon service delivery.
The role also requires the management of transport studies and delivery programmes, developing the pipeline of schemes and projects necessary to help deliver the Council’s overall objectives.
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for a manager with extensive experience in transport policy and strategy formulation, who can understand what is required to prepare a robust business case justifying investment in the transport network, and who fully appreciates the role that a safe and sustainable transport network plays on keeping society moving.
A good understanding of transport governance structures, especially within a Combined Authority setting, and of the interaction between transport and other service areas, is important, along with an understanding of the relevant legislation, government guidance and standards that apply to transport.
The candidate will need to be able to communicate clearly, both written and verbal, with good interpersonal skills and confidence in dealing with Elected Members, Senior Colleagues and external partners.
You need to be an excellent manager, organiser and a team player to deliver a wide range of tasks on time within a demanding environment and will need to play a significant role in the future development of the service area.
Introduction to Coventry City Council
We genuinely believe that Coventry City Council is a special place. You will be joining Coventry City Council during an exciting time to become part of a team that contribute to achieving our visions for the city. We have made our council a place where we look after our people, making sure you're happy in your work and given everything you need to succeed. We've created friendly, welcoming workplaces where everyone is working towards the same cause, providing the best possible services for the city of Coventry.
As a council with improvement at its heart, we’re committed to making life better for the people who live and work in Coventry. We’re equally concerned with the quality of life enjoyed by our people, so by joining us, you won’t just be helping the community, you’ll be helping yourself too.
Not only do you get to work alongside great people that are helping to improve services for our community we offer great benefits too! For your valued contribution we will provide a fantastic benefits package including:
• Flexible working arrangements
• Generous annual leave allowance starting at 27 days and rising to 32 days
• Pay progression through multiple increments
• Outstanding local government pension scheme
• Learning & Development with access to certified courses.
• Access to an award-winning Occupational Health Team
• Vibrant employee networks
If you are interested in this exciting opportunity, please click on the apply button or here.
Closing date: 1 November 2020.
Interview date: w/c 9 November 2020.
Coventry City Council is committed to delivering the best possible services and improving the quality of life for Coventry people. In order to do this effectively we aim to have a workforce that represents the diverse communities we serve, embracing and utilising the broad range of skills, experiences and perspectives this brings.
We are committed to making our recruitment practices as inclusive as possible for all. This includes making adjustments or changes for people who have a disability or long-term health condition.