Head of Transport and Mass Transit Development
Grade P – Salary £72,915
Full Time & Permanent
Leeds City Centre (Temporarily Remote Working)
Closing Date – 10 October 2021
The West Yorkshire Combined Authority have ambitious plans to develop our transport schemes of the future, including a new mass transit network for the region. With our elected West Yorkshire Mayor, Tracy Brabin, the first woman to be elected as a Metro Mayor, we have access to funding from Government to take forward our ambitious connectivity plans.
We are therefore looking for a new Head of Service for Transport and Mass Transit Development to direct a newly created team leading on scheme development including mass transit. We also have several other roles focussed on mass transit including a Mass Transit Design and Engineering Manager, an Environment and Place Manager and a Project and a Policy Manager.
We are looking for someone who can lead the development of transport projects through strong partnerships with other organisations and make mass transit a reality for West Yorkshire’s residents and visitors. You will be responsible for developing a team who can take our projects and programmes from concept to design and securing funding to make them a reality and will then work closely with our Delivery teams to ensure that the agreed outcomes are delivered.
Reporting into the Director of Policy and Development, your key responsibilities will include:
- Development of transport programmes and investments to further the region’s ambitions to tackle the climate emergency, create inclusive growth and create great places to live and work.
- Leading the mass transit programme from concept through to commencement of implementation, agreeing the appropriate delivery model.
- Building strong and trusting partnerships with local authorities, businesses and Government to co-develop solutions for the region, to manage the relationship with the relevant industry partners and secure investment
- Being a key adviser to the Mayor and Combined Authority members
- You will have a track record of success in developing transport projects, bidding for and developing business cases and securing funding.
- A demonstrable track record of practical and successful experience of engagement with a wide range of external bodies to secure shared ownership of project outcomes.
- Experience of leading, managing and developing a high performing team.
Alongside a competitive salary, we offer an excellent benefits package including:
- 28 days annual leave plus bank holidays
- Generous employer contribution pension scheme
- Fully funded travel in West Yorkshire on bus and rail with the MCard
- Flexible working practises with Health and Wellbeing initiatives to ensure you achieve the best work/life balance and career goals.
Applicants are advised that the Combined Authority is currently in consultation with employees and Trade Unions to review the Terms and Conditions of Employment and Staff Benefits. The detail of the proposals for change, will be discussed with the successful candidate at the point of offer.
Please apply by 11:55pm on 10 October 2021
The Combined Authority’s aim is to attract people from diverse backgrounds to build on our inclusive culture and represent the communities we serve. We welcome applications from everyone regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, transgender status, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.
Applicants with a disability are guaranteed an interview, subject to the minimum criteria being met.
We are committed to inclusivity and will consider requests for flexible working including part time and job share arrangements, likely to be early October.
Candidates will be notified of invitation to interview by e-mail and interviews will be carried out either by phone or video interview.
Please note that whilst it is our policy to recruit at SP1 for all appointments, which is the salary stated above, each role includes career salary progression, with incremental increases applicable in most cases, on an annual basis.
Due to the high volumes of applications we receive, we are unable to respond to every applicant. If you have not heard from us within four weeks of the closing date, please assume that your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Candidate information will be retained by the Combined Authority for six months unless you make a request for this to be deleted.