Southwark, London SE1
Circa £50,000 per annum, plus benefits
Bus Operations is responsible for delivering the iconic red bus network, Dial a Ride, and runs our bus stations as well as Victoria Coach Station. Carrying over 6 million people every day on around 9,000 vehicles, we move the majority of public transport users around London.
We’re looking for an Executive Manager to support the efficient operation of the Director's office. It’s a busy team – with a combination of day to day operations mixed with major strategic change to deliver TfL’s objectives.
You will be responsible for a variety of key/critical activities that ensure the smooth running of the Director’s office including responding on behalf of the Director to all Mayoral questions and Freedom of Information requests. Leading on all external correspondence you will need to have strong stakeholder skills and a good understanding of the political environment in which TFL operates.
The Executive Manager is also responsible for all corporate reporting and governance for the Bus Operations Directorate which is one of the largest in surface.
• Managing the flow of information within the directorate to ensure excellent quality processing and resolution of politically sensitive communications with key internal/external stakeholders in the production of high-level reports, papers, publications, briefing notes, Mayor’s Questions and general correspondence and enquiries.
• Leading on managing the flow of management information within the directorate, being accountable for ensuring all reporting procedures are met
• Supporting the governance process for the MD’s office/directorate to ensure submissions to board meetings are accurate, politically appropriate, approved and on time by working with the correct departments within and outside the directorate
• Providing guidance to senior managers on behalf of the Director in the preparation of key management documents.
• Building and maintaining effective working relationships within and outside of the directorate, (e.g. with Government, the Mayor's office, the Boroughs and other TfL departments and in particular the Surface MD’s office), to ensure the effective running of the Director’s office.
• Supports Directorate governance through submission and forward planning of approvals and strategy papers.
• Co-ordinates and edits briefing notes for internal and external use to ensure that a positive and accurate message is provided at all times with appreciation for political sensitivities.
• Supports directorate departments in achieving customer service performance targets for responding to customer/Mayors / MP inquiries etc. and works to improve quality metrics associated with customer correspondence.
• Co-ordinates production of, and review for approval, priority correspondence for the Director. Monitors follow-up of any press related activity and the review of Mayor’s questions and responses related to the directorate.
• Deal with enquiries in an appropriate, timely manner to promote and protect TfL’s reputation.
• Ensures all out going communications is of a high quality and consistent with TfL policy and delivered in a customer focused way taking business and political awareness / sensitivities into account.
• Qualified to degree level or significant relevant experience.
• Comprehensive understanding of Transport issues including the Mayor’s Transport Strategy
• Good understanding of working within a highly politicised environment.
• Good knowledge of internal and external communication methods, including how to handle and respond to politically sensitive and high-profile queries and correspondence.
• Good written communication skills with the ability to interpret complex information and adopt different styles of writing to suit audience - Advanced
• Ability to work effectively under pressure, respond quickly to developing events, produce accurate information, and draft responses and reports within tight time scales - Advanced
• Self-motivated, must be able to work well within a team and independently, and to respond flexibly and quickly to a range of requests - Advanced
• Information governance - Intermediate
• Information management and reporting - Advanced
• Analyse and present business data - Advanced
• Managing Resources – Intermediate
• Ability to gain a Good knowledge of TfL's Policies and procedures quickly - Intermediate
• Experience of working within a large and complex organisation with a high customer service ethos.
• Experience of working with and balancing the needs of a number of key stakeholder groups, influencing and promoting cohesiveness.
• Proven ability to influence at a senior level, including successfully facilitating joint decision-making.
• Experience of reporting and presenting information to board and senior management levels.
• Experience of handling and responding to politically sensitive and high-profile external queries and correspondence.
In return for your commitment and expertise, you will enjoy excellent benefits and scope to grow. Rewards vary according to the business area but mostly include:
• Final salary pension scheme
• Free travel for you on the TfL network
• A 75% discount on National Rail Season Ticket and interest free loan
• 29/30 days’ annual leave plus public and bank holidays
• Private healthcare discounted scheme (optional)
• Tax-efficient cycle-to-work programme
• Retail, health, leisure and travel offers
• Discounted Eurostar travel
On applying, you will need to upload a CV and a two-page covering letter setting out how your experience fits with this role.
Closing date: 23:59 on Sunday 17 October 2021.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, age or disability status.