Senior Bus Safety Development Manager
Southwark, London SE1
Circa £70,000 per annum, plus benefits
Our iconic bus network carries over 6 million people a day, with 9,000 buses operating on over 600 routes. Our London Bus contracts are worth up to £2bn a year, and standalone initiatives such as safety improvements are multi-million-pound projects.
Making our London buses safer rests with the Bus Safety Development team, who develop and implement a significant range of innovative safety, health and wellbeing changes for the bus network. This challenge comes from our aspiration for Vision Zero: no one to be killed on or by a bus by 2030, with no one killed or seriously injured on the road network by 2041. Significant – we understand.
The team has made a real difference over the last few years, but there is more to do and we are looking for someone who cares passionately about safety and wellbeing to take this work and the team forward.
This is a crucial role in the Bus Operations Senior Management Team, with key interfaces with senior leaders across TfL, Bus Operator directors, and a range of other external stakeholders including City Hall, the trade union and academics.
This is not a typical 9 to 5 health and safety job – the person we’re looking for must have a strong belief in Vison Zero and the importance of a good safety culture with an ability to motivate a wide range of people and a focus on delivering change.
• Represent Bus Operations on road safety matters and decisions impacting the bus network and act as the client for Buses on all road safety-related matters involving engineering innovation, safety management, and developing safety leadership among private Bus Operators.
• Accountable for horizon scanning for issues that may impact on the safety of the bus network and liaise with the Surface Health and Safety and Road Safety teams to implement mitigations or remedial work as appropriate.
• Champion the execution of bus safety policy as defined by the TfL Board, Mayor's Office and GLA.
• Accountable for identifying intelligence and data relating to casualties on the bus network and provide recommendations and mitigation plans to avoid or reduce severity of future incidents.
• Provide technical expertise across the Bus Operations directorate to assist safety performance management of operators
• Accountable for developing strategies that ensure the Buses Directorate is resourced to deliver direct operational interventions and collaborate with Bus Operators and Health & safety to mitigate identified risks in a timely manner
• Accountable for delivering the Bus Safety Programme, clienting delivery of work streams and engaging with relevant stakeholders to ensure buy-in and delivery to cost and time:-Align with wider road safety initiatives and healthy streets
• Formulate strategies to deliver targets for 2022 and 2030 to reduce serious injuries and zero deaths on the bus network with appropriate methods of evaluating success and measurements
• Manage the identification of suppliers and procurement of safety technology for the new Bus Safety Standard and manage relationships with manufacturers and test houses, and ensure ongoing engagement with Bus Operators and GLA.
• Lead on developing strategies to foster a culture of road safety across TfL staff, Bus Operating Companies and TfL Partners, engaging with Bus Operators to deliver appropriate safety training and embedding collision reduction objectives
• Evaluate effectiveness of the bus safety programme and BAU activity through the development of performance metrics
Skills, Knowledge & Experience
Candidates need a good balance of existing skills, knowledge and/or experience and potential in the following areas:
• Excellent ability to influence at all levels - obtaining buy-in from key stakeholders
• Excellent ability to coordinate large-scale portfolios of projects in a matrix environment - clienting other departments or individuals to contribute to a holistic programme of works
• Excellent ability to engage and motivate staff - fostering a culture of safety within TfL and Transport Partners
• Excellent ability to analyse complex safety information to produce recommendations for Board level
• Excellent organisational and programme management skills and ability to lead a programme of works
• Excellent communication skills, report writing and presentation skills
• Ability to be flexible and adapt to changing circumstances
• Ability to produce good quality briefings and risk assessments
• Good understanding of strategic goals of TfL, Surface Transport and the bus network and the political landscape
• Excellent understanding of road safety, particularity in running Public Transport and of the road network
• Excellent understanding of London's Transport network and its associated safety issues
• NEBOSH qualification desirable
• Knowledge of managing high profile multi-disciplinary work streams to tight deadlines
• Project/Programme Management methodology desirable
• Required expertise in understanding complex data, especially that provided by databases
• Experience of applying safety methodology in a large complex public transport or road management environment
• Experience of managing complex stakeholder relationships in a fast-moving political landscape, challenging, negotiating and influencing at all levels
• Experience of achieving results through others including influencing staff to take a more proactive approach to resolving issues raised
• Extensive experience of producing good quality reports, briefings and data to influence senior stakeholders
• Extensive experience of promoting safety in a public transport field.
In return for your commitment and expertise, you will enjoy excellent benefits and scope to grow. Rewards vary according to the business area but mostly include:
• Final salary pension scheme
• Free travel for you on the TfL network
• A 75% discount on National Rail Season Ticket and interest free loan
• 30 days’ annual leave plus public and bank holidays
• Private healthcare discounted scheme (optional)
• Tax-efficient cycle-to-work programme
• Retail, health, leisure and travel offers
• Discounted Eurostar travel
On applying, you will need to upload a CV and a two-page covering letter setting out how your experience fits with this role.
Closing date: 23:59 on Sunday 24 October 2021.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, age or disability status.