Highway Development Control Engineer
Hours: 37 hours per week
Salary: £32,909 - £37,261 per annum
This post attracts a market supplement of £5,000 in addition to the salary, which is subject to an annual review. The post also attracts a golden hello of £2,000.
We have an exciting opportunity available within the Highway Services team at Sandwell Council. We are seeking a highly motivated and skilled individual to work within the Development and Road Safety team.
The main duties will include commenting on all highway aspects of planning applications, appraising transport assessments and statements, checking technical compliance with local and national standards, liaising with developers, residents, businesses and elected members, writing reports and producing briefing notes and design guidance as required.
This post will have a major influence on the direction of travel for The Highway Service, assisting in the delivery our Statutory Duties and responsibilities, using both in-house and external resources. This will help secure the safe and efficient movement of traffic and pedestrians within the Borough of Sandwell by improving the overall performance of The Authority’s highway network.
You will be assisting the Group Manager in the investigation of the consequences that new private developments will have on the public highway network and formulating suitable measures to help mitigate against any potential impacts they may have.
This Engineer role is key to the organisation and you will also be taking responsibility for mentoring and motivating junior members of staff as well as managing other resources to deliver priorities and objectives, whilst instilling a culture of continuous improvement in the service.
We would love to hear from applicants who can demonstrate:
• Educated to Minimum Level 4 Educational attainment with suitable experience
• Excellent planning and prioritisation skills
• An analytical approach to problem solving and experience in considering the highway aspects of planning applications
• Experience of communicating with developers, elected representatives, members of the public and other key stakeholders
• A drive for continuous improvement
• Ability to interpret relevant codes of practice, procedures and technical documentation
• Ability to assess risk and hazards when working on the highway
• A willingness to work towards obtaining appropriate management and professional qualifications
• Ability to work under pressure, organise and prioritise your own workload and meet tight deadlines
• A full driving license and ability to work occasional weekends and evenings
This is an important role for Sandwell and if you are up for the challenge of improving our Highway Service, we would love to hear from you.
If you would like an informal discussion about the role, please ring Simon Chadwick on 07920 182461 or email [email protected]
Minimum Level 4 Educational attainment and GCSE in Maths and English Grade C (or Equivalent) or higher.
Closing date: 23rd December 2022