Highway Maintenance Engineer
Hours: 37 hours per week
Salary: £32,909 - £37,261 per annum
This post attracts a market supplement of £5,000 in addition to the salary, which is subject to an annual review. The post also attracts a golden hello of £2,000.
We have two exciting opportunities available within the Highways Service at Sandwell Council based at Oldbury. We are seeking highly motivated, skilled and experienced individuals to work within Sandwell’s Highway Services to help the Council’s obligations under the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991, Highways Act 1980 and Traffic Management Act 2004.
Each post which will be a NJC SPC 26 to 31 and will have a major influence on the direction of travel for The Highway Service, assisting the design, delivery of a range Highway Maintenance Services using both in-house and external resources to secure the safe and efficient movement of traffic and pedestrians within the Borough of Sandwell and improving the overall performance of the Authority’s highway network.
You will be assisting either the Group Manager Officer Assets and Permits, Principal and Senior Engineers in the promotion, design and delivery of new investment, incorporating a wide range of asset types, work closely with our supply chain and regional partners, provide technical approval of highway designs, preparing written and verbal replies to enquiries or assessing regional transportation projects in relation to highways as well as supporting in identifying and submitting external funding bids.
These roles play key roles in the organisation and you will be taking responsibility for managing and motivating people and other resources to deliver priorities and objectives, generating income, programme delivery, management reporting and instilling a culture of continuous improvement.
We would love to hear from applicants who can demonstrate:
• Educated to Higher National Certificate (HNC) or Foundation Degree in Civil engineering or equivalent and a willingness to work towards Incorporated Professional review status (I.Eng)
• Excellent planning and prioritisation skills.
• An analytical approach to problem solving.
• Experience in the design of highways, bridges and structures or traffic signal schemes.
• Management and/or supervision of construction projects, ensuring delivery on time and to cost.
• Knowledge of/ and/or ability to interpret relevant codes of practice, procedures or DfT circulars.
• Ability to assess risk and hazards when working on the highway.
• Experience of undertaking public consultations.
• A drive for continuous improvement.
• A willingness to work towards obtaining an appropriate management qualification.
• Ability to work under pressure, organise your own workload and meet deadlines
These are important roles for Sandwell and if you are up for the challenge of improving our Highway Service we would love to hear from you.
If you would like an informal discussion about the roles please ring Barry Ridgway on 07769931038 or email [email protected]
Higher National Certificate (HNC) or Foundation Degree in Civil engineering or equivalent and working towards Incorporated Professional review status (I.Eng)
Closing date: 23rd December 2022