Location: Working on an agile working arrangement from a base in Huntingdon.
Salary Range: £60,315-£73,720 pa dependent on experience
Hours: 37 Hours per week
Contract: Permanent Contract
Closing Date: 23 October 2022
The Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Combined Authority is looking to appoint two high calibre Transport Programme Managers.
The successful candidates will be responsible for overseeing the development and delivery of an ambitious range of major transport projects and performing a strategic client function. The Transport Programme Managers will be working as part of the Transport Team, reporting to the Head of Transport.
• Provide leadership and oversight in the successful delivery of an agreed set of ambitious transport and infrastructure projects in line with the Authority’s wider objectives and aspirations. These projects will typically be delivered via public and private sector partner organisations, spanning the entire project lifecycle from feasibility and business case development through to design and construction
• Drive high quality project planning discipline and outcomes across projects ensuring individual phase/workstream plans are synchronised into an integrated programme level plan
• Work closely with the project team and workstream managers to manage risks and issues, ensuring project level risks, issues and dependencies are escalated to programme level where appropriate
• Ensure cross project dependencies are co-ordinated, managed, and visible.
• Drive activity progress and completion across workstreams and phases to ensure key milestones are met on time and within budget
• Lead and manage effective stakeholder engagement
• Lead appropriate communication and reporting to ensure alignment, mitigation management and progress across teams and stakeholders
• Proactively support the political governance of the Authority through member engagement, briefings, and reporting
• Ensure compliance with the Authority’s monitoring and evaluation framework
• Work collaboratively across the Authority’s teams to ensure co-ordinated and coherent delivery
• Deliver continuous improvement and high-quality governance across the project, in particular ensuring that the Project Board functions smoothly and effectively
• Act as an ambassador for the Authority, promoting the interests of the sub-region in local, regional, and national forums and raising the profile and reputation of the Authority
• Contribute towards the development and delivery of the Authority’s transport policies and strategies
• Undertake other duties as may, from time to time, be allocated commensurate with the seniority and qualifications of the post
• Expansive, creative business thinker – thinks outside ‘tried and tested’ models or approaches
• Exceptional communicator and relationship-builder that generates confidence in colleagues, members, partners, and senior business stakeholders
• Acutely political aware – able to assimilate and navigate political contexts with skill
• Highly adaptable - to changing circumstances and demands
• Collaborative – works productively with peers, team, and others
• Motivated – driven by personal and organisational achievement
• Tenacious, adaptable, and focussed individual with board level presence able to deliver under pressure and with multiple conflicting priorities
Qualifications, Knowledge & Experience
• Excellent programme management and strong organisational skills are fundamental, as is the ability to liaise with people at all levels of the organisation.
• Significant experience of programme delivery/assurance
• Ability to manage a range of programme/project types and complex business initiatives/ programmes
• Successful track record of managing and delivering programmes which cross organisation and service boundaries
• Strong programme discipline in delivery and assurance including resource management, risk management, budget management and reporting at all organisational levels
• Strong knowledge of effective outcome-based programme reporting
• Good understanding of performance management frameworks and tools in the delivery of business objectives
• Degree level or equivalent standard of general education
• Professional qualifications, such IEng, CEng, TPP, APM, are highly desirable.
• Strong track record of project planning and delivery on large complex transport projects; able to successfully drive new, complex and/or multidisciplinary projects throughout the full project life cycle from initiation and scoping to closure with sound commercial and procurement skills. Ideally this experience will extend to both road and rail projects
• Extensive experience in the highways and transportation sector covering areas such as:
o Transport policy, business case development and strategic transport planning
o Public consultation and Statutory Consent processes
o Design development and construction
• Experience of managing projects involving cross functional roles, external advisory and delivery support from other organisations and consultancy services
• Successful track record at management level within an organisation of comparable scope and complexity
For further information or for an informal discussion about the role please email [email protected]
Please submit CVs with a covering letter to [email protected]
Work in partnership with directors, delivery partners and national and local public sector organisations to coordinate delivery of the CPCA’s portfolio of programmes/priorities.
The Data Protection Act 2018 is the UK’s implementation of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
Under the Data Protection Act 2018, CPCA reserve the right to collect, store and process personal data about job applicants in so far as it is relevant to recruitment processes. This includes processing sensitive data for the purposes of monitoring the CPCA’s equality and diversity policy. All personal information held by the CPCA will be processed in accordance with the principles of the Data Protection Act.
Cambridgeshire & Peterborough Combined Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer, who values diversity and promotes equality. CPCA does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, or any other basis covered by Equality Act 2010. All employment is decided on qualifications, merit, and business need and we encourage applications from all sections of society. If you would like any reasonable adjustments or additional arrangements, please contact us via the details below.