Role: Programme Manager - Technical
Reports to: Commercial Director
Hours: 37 hours per week
Annual Leave: 25 days + bank holidays
Salary: Up to £50,000 per annum
Smart Applications Management (SAM) is a Membership organisation created to help local councils, commercial bus operators and other public sector bodies realise the benefits of better sustainable transport through intelligent transport systems such as ITSO smart ticketing, web retail, mobile apps and system integration. By pooling resources and expertise, SAM offers access to a range of best in class services and systems for its Members, whilst also managing the National Procurement Framework. Our website is www.talktosam.co.uk.
What are we looking for?
We are looking for a talented and dedicated individual to join the small but growing SAM team at our offices in either Nottingham or Plymouth. As our Programme Manager - Technical, you will be responsible for the day-to-day delivery and management of our Projects, Suppliers, and our Test Programme.
You will be part of a conscientious, efficient, sociable team, and as a key member of the Project Team, you will drive the continued success of the company. Full training and development will be provided.
1. To develop and manage the delivery of our programme of ticketing and wider projects on behalf of SAM and SAM’s Members utilising industry best practices, techniques, and standards throughout the entire programme execution, including:
a. Carrying out monitoring and control activities to track the progress of the programme against delivery timescales.
b. Tracking programme costs to ensure budget requirements are met.
c. Measuring programme performance to identify areas for improvement.
d. identifying and managing risk, taking appropriate action where necessary.
2. Ensure that the operational delivery of the SAM Managed Service meets the requirements of our Members including:
a. Managing SAM’s Suppliers to ensure that they meet their delivery and performance obligations, including preparation of performance reports for the SAM Board.
b. Managing the SAM Service Desk to ensure that issued reported by Members are managed through to a resolution by our suppliers within SLA targets.
c. Working closely with SAM Members, you will identify how we can improve our products and services to meet their needs, working with the team to translate these requirements into a development roadmap for delivery.
3. To act as the primary point of contact for our Members and external partners on all technical and project engagement, and as an escalation point for issues raised via our Service Desk.
4. To develop good working relationships with our Members, Stakeholders and Suppliers, leading to collaboration opportunities and take up of our Services.
5. To manage the development of SAM’s and SAM Member’s own projects including technical design and creations of specification documents, test plans and user training materials.
6. To line manage the operational delivery of the SAM Team who have direct technical responsibilities, and to enable them to deliver the best service SAM can provide.
7. To engage in ITSO and other Technical and Standards working groups, research, projects and studies contributing to the strategic development of the SAM Programme.
8. To facilitate and contribute to meetings, visits, conferences and committees, through preparation of reports and presentations taking subsequent actions forward to delivery.
9. To ensure all activities undertaken are in compliance with SAM’s Policies.
Measure of Success:
1. Successful delivery of the SAM Development Programme on time and within budget.
2. All Managed Service Suppliers meet their agreed Service Levels.
3. All Managed Service commitments from SAM to our Members are met.
4. Revenue growth through increased uptake od SAM Services by Members.
Knowledge, Education & Training:
1. Degree or equivalent in related discipline.
2. Advanced working knowledge of Microsoft Office, PowerPoint, MS Project and databases.
3. Knowledge of the following core areas:
o Project Management.
o ITSO Programme Delivery.
o Bid and report writing.
o Smartcard Ticketing.
o UK Public Transport Sector.
o Customer Support practices.
Relevant Experience & Skills:
1. Working in a technical delivery environment.
2. Programme Management.
3. Preparing Technical Specifications.
4. Preparing Test Scripts.
5. Analysis, interpretation and reporting on data.
6. Working in a Customer Service environment.
7. Project Management, ideally in a ticketing environment.
8. Working both independently and as part of a team.
9. Drawing on professional/specialist knowledge to solve presenting problems.
Staff welfare and a positive work-life balance are important to SAM. Where possible we offer a flexible working environment with opportunities for homeworking and flexible hours to fit around your personal circumstances.