Northumberland County Council operates a huge range of services across one of the largest counties in the UK. Local Government’s ongoing challenges and the diversity of our residents means we have to work smarter. That’s why we want bold, creative and agile thinkers who can help us move forward and innovate.
For further information about working for Northumberland County Council, please click here: [northumberland.gov.uk]http://www.northumberland.gov.uk/working [northumberland.gov.uk]
Northumberland County Council is looking to recruit a Senior Programme Officer with a focus on rail. This is a new post within the Economy and Regeneration Service, whose core purpose is to deliver the Council’s priority of Economic Growth. This includes the influencing national and regional policy and co-ordinating and driving forward hugely exciting projects including the reintroduction of rail passenger services between Newcastle and Ashington (The Northumberland Line).
You will work as part of a team responsible for the development of strategic transport policy and supporting the development and delivery of associated initiatives across the county. The role will include supporting the Council’s development of new growth opportunities through Transport for the North (TfN) and the new North of Tyne Combined Authority as it develops.
We are offering:
- A starting salary of £32,029 (Band 8)
- Access to the Local Government Pension Scheme
- A wide range of staff benefits including a competitive annual leave provision
- Flexible working arrangements
The main responsibilities of the role include:
- Developing, monitoring and reviewing strategic transport Policies with a specific focus on the rail sector;
- Inform wider policy development in terms of land use, planning and economic growth;
- Working with internal and external partners to secure funding for strategic transport and regeneration projects and initiatives.
- Lead on the development of strategic rail projects, reporting on progress and monitoring outputs and outcomes.
- Lead in the negotiation, letting and management of contracts in support of projects and activities.
- Respond to correspondence from MP’s, Council Members, Parish and Town Councils and service users in respect of strategic transport matters.
You will be educated to HND or equivalent level in a relevant and related subject. You will have a good understanding of strategic rail issues and external funding sources. You will have significant experience in developing policies and projects related to strategic transport and other regeneration initiatives and have experience in working in partnership with businesses, communities and public organisations. You will possess excellent written, verbal communication and presentation skills and be able to communicate and engage with a wide audience and be skilled at building productive partnerships.
This is an excellent opportunity for a skilled and enthusiastic transport professional to develop their experience and apply their knowledge to an exciting and expanding area of work within the Council. The post is offered as a 3 year fixed term contract.
For further information about the role please see the attached job description and person specification here [northumberland.gov.uk] and for an informal discussion please contact Stuart McNaughton, Strategic Transport Policy Officer, Economy and Regeneration Service. Tel 07827 873139 or email [email protected].
To apply please visit http://bit.ly/2o4fZDn
Closing date 30 October 2019 at midnight
Northumberland County Council is an equal opportunities employer. We welcome applications from all sectors of the community. We recognise the difficulties that transgender applicants in particular may face during a recruitment process; if Trans applicants have any concerns regarding the process please contact Rebecca Harding (Trans HR Support Officer) on07770975678 or [email protected] We operate a guaranteed interview scheme for disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria. All applications to work on a part-time will be considered in line with the requirements of the post and the needs of the service.
If you have a disability and would prefer to apply in a different format or would like us to make reasonable adjustments to enable you to attend an interview please email [email protected]