Senior Transport Planner (Policy, Freight & Road Safety)
Starting salary: £40,652
Job Level: Level 4, Zone 1
Work Location: 5 Pancras Square, London, N1C 4AG
Hours per week: 36, Full-time
Contract type: Permanent
Closing date: Wednesday 7th June 2023 at 23:59
Interviews to be held: TBC
Alternative flexible working options available / open to discussion
Anonymised Application – in keeping with Camden’s commitment to inclusion the recruitment to this role is anonymised and supports the objective of reducing the impact of unconscious bias.
In Camden, we are committed to working together to make our borough the best place to live, work, study, and visit. Partnership with our communities is central to the way we work, so that everyone can access opportunities, and nobody gets left behind. Here’s where you can help decide a better future for us all. As a Senior Transport Planner, you will work on supporting active transport policy and travel planning across Camden.
Camden has produced a bold and ambitious Transport Strategy (CTS), ‘Healthy Streets, Healthy Travel, and Healthy Lives’ - that sets out our vision for transport in the Borough through to 2041. The Strategy contains seven core objectives which include delivering a sustainable transport system and streets that are inclusive and accessible for all, reducing all road casualties in Camden and progressing towards zero Killed or Seriously Injured, and reducing the impact of transport-based emissions and noise in Camden. We have also produced a new Clean Air Action Plan and Climate Action Plan. Following the development of these three plans, Camden is pushing forward with a challenging programme of projects in a number of transport planning areas.
We are looking for a highly motivated Senior Transport Planner who will play a key part in developing strategic transport policy documents and positions, and associated strategies that relate to smarter, more sustainable travel in Camden. In particular the role will focus on developing new and updated sustainable transport policies, the development and implementation of our emerging Freight Action Plan and responses to emerging transport technologies, and delivering a range of road safety interventions.
You will have good experience in the preparation and review of transport policy and/or transport planning/strategy documents, and a good understanding of the national, regional and local policy and legislative context in which transport planning & policy in Camden operates. You will have an understanding ofthe potential of future/smart technologies to advancing sustainable transport strategies.
You will be able to demonstrate effective partnership working and the ability to develop stakeholder relations, including liaising and negotiating with all relevant external organisations including Transport for London, the Greater London Authority, other Boroughs and external partners, on behalf of the Council.
Skills and experience:
• You will have a good understanding, and experience of, developing road safety policies and initiatives and, ideally, some experience of developing and implementing freight/servicing policies, plans and actions.
• Knowledge of, and ability to support, the development of policy documents and associated strategies/projects relating to smart & sustainable travel
• Demonstrate success in managing and delivering policies/projects
• Prepare high quality papers and reports for Council Committees, public meetings and other bodies such as appeals and public inquiries (may be required to attend such events as and when necessary).
• Contribute significantly towards collating and analysing (at a strategic and local level) a wide range of information and data necessary for policy analysis and policy and project development.
• You will need to demonstrate experience of being an effective project manager, capable of successfully managing initiatives, often over-lapping with one another, both on time and to budget.
• Provide succinct, professional and technical advice on a range of areas that fall within the remit of the service - and especially transport policy and related projects - in line with the legislative framework, best practice and new technologies.
• Shows initiative and a pro-active, forward-thinking approach to work.
• Oversee the workload of more junior members of the team, helping the team as a whole to maximise its contribution towards delivering key elements of the Camden Transport Strategy.
• Have experience of successfully supporting the procurement and management of contractors working on transport policies/schemes.
Working for Camden
We’re ready to welcome your ideas, your views, and your rebellious spirit. Help us redefine how we’re supporting people, and we’ll redefine what a career can be. If that sounds good to you, we’d love to talk.
At Camden, you’ll receive a host of benefits as well as joining a flexible working employer. Click HERE to see full details of our benefits.
How to apply:
For further information and to complete your application, please click here.
To view the Job Profile, please click HERE
To apply for this job please follow the "Apply" link. In the ‘Why you?’ section of the application you will be required to demonstrate how you meet the role criteria noted in the Job Profile under the “About You” section.
Inclusion and Diversity
We want Camden Council to be a great place to work and to ensure that our communities are represented across our workforce. A vital part of this is ensuring we are a truly inclusive organisation that encourages diversity in all respects, including diversity of thinking. We particularly welcome applications from Black, Asian and those of Other Ethnicities, LGBT+, disabled and neurodiverse communities to make a real difference to our residents so that equalities and justice remains at the heart of everything we do.
To discover more about Camden and our commitment towards diversity, equality and safeguarding, please visit our recruitment website
Asking for Adjustments
Camden is committed to making our recruitment practices barrier-free and as accessible as possible for everyone. This includes making adjustments or changes for disabled people, neurodiverse people or people with long-term health conditions. If you would like us to do anything differently during the application, interview or assessment process, including providing information in an alternative format, please contact us on 020 7974 6655, at [email protected] or post to 5 Pancras Square, London, N1C 4AG.