Senior Engineer - Business Engineering (Obsolescence Management)
Organisation - TFL ENGINEERING
Job - General
Position Type - Full Time
Contract Type - Permanent
Grade - Band 3 Senior Engineer
Location: 5 Endeavour Square / Palestra / Hybrid Working
Salary: Payband 3
Contract type: TfL
At TfL we manage a vast range of assets, many of which are at risk of obsolescence at some point in their lifecycle. As part of the Business Engineering team, you will lead and deliver professional engineering to colleagues across the whole of TfL for obsolescence management to help manage and mitigate this risk.
TfL faces a range of challenges when managing obsolescence, these include the expected life of assets, contractual arrangements and asset types. A one size fits all obsolescence management strategy may not be achievable or appropriate, but expertise is needed to define the best approach.
The Obsolescence Manager will act as the strategic lead for obsolescence activities across TfL. The Obsolescence Manager will develop the TfL obsolescence strategy and engage with stakeholders across TfL to increase the visibility of obsolescence and embed obsolescence management as a business-as-usual activity.
Key activities for the Obsolescence Manager will include:
• Developing and implementing an improvement plan to increase the maturity of Obsolescence Management in TfL, working with stakeholders within TfL to implement that improvement plan.
• Investigating significant obsolescence risks and identifying mitigating options to inform asset strategies and prioritisation of future investment strategies to achieve the optimal cost-efficient avoidance, resolution or mitigation of obsolescence.
• Influencing the design of new assets to assess obsolescence, to minimise the Whole Life Asset cost.
You will be responsible for providing technical guidance and advice on obsolescence management to people and teams across TfL. This includes assessing obsolescence risk and developing obsolescence management plans.
You will act as an advocate for obsolescence management, educating people across TfL on what obsolescence is and why it is important to manage it. You will make sure that strategies, processes, and training related to obsolescence are up to date and reflect best practice.
• Detailed knowledge of obsolescence management methodologies, including industry best practices (Essential)
• Commercial awareness, understanding of business cases, whole life costing principles and procurement strategies to deliver optimal obsolescence outcomes (Desirable)
• Ability to communicate obsolescence management concepts to non-expert audiences at all levels of the business (Essential)
• Ability to effectively engage with, manage and influence stakeholders (Essential)
• Practical experience of obsolescence management, including identifying, assessing, managing and mitigating obsolescence risks, through most phases of asset and system lifecycles (Essential)
• Experience of setting the strategic direction for obsolescence management within an organisation (Essential)
We are committed to equality, diversity and inclusion. We want to represent the city we serve, which will help us become a more innovative and efficient organisation. Our goal is to make our recruitment as inclusive as possible. We are a disability confident employer who guarantee an interview to any disabled candidate who meets all of the essential criteria. We also use anonymising software that removes identifying information from CVs and cover letters to make the process fair.
Please apply using your most recent CV and Cover Letter. (Word format only) We encourage you to apply for the position that is most relevant to your existing skills, knowledge and experience as shortlisting is carried out on the basis of how well you meet the criteria for the role.
The closing date for applications is 25th June 2023 @ 23:59
Additional Information for Internal Employees
In line with our Resourcing Policy (Feb 2014), internal employees are required to complete their probationary period before applying for internal TfL positions. Please ensure you have successfully completed your probation before submitting an application for this role, otherwise your application may be withdrawn.
Internal employees with any current formal warnings are not eligible to apply for internal TfL vacancies until expiry of the warning. Ineligible applications may be withdrawn. Details of what is defined as a current formal warning can be found on Platform:
Applications to internally advertised roles can only be accepted from temporary workers who are on PAYE terms via agency, or PAYE via Umbrella Companies. Temporary workers who are paid through their own limited companies are not covered by the Agency Worker Regulations and are ineligible to apply.