Contract Manager - Rail North Partnership (21 hours, Flexible)
Expiry date: 12:00, Fri, 14th Apr 2023
Salary: £42,011 - £48,692.00
Benefits: 28 days holiday per annum plus bank holidays. Access to the local government pension scheme. Access to various salary sacrifice benefits, including Travel Pass purchase scheme. Access to TfN's Flexi-Time Scheme
Transport for the North is England’s first Sub-National Transport Body. We were formed to transform the transport system across the North of England, providing the infrastructure needed to drive economic growth.
We are based across the North, with offices in Manchester and Leeds and have colleagues working within local transport bodies across the North.
The Rail North Partnership (RNP) is a partnership representing the Department for Transport (DfT) and the Transport for the North (TfN) as clients, working together to transform rail services across the north of England through joint management of rail passenger service contracts.
Transport for the North is looking to recruit a Contract Manager to work within its Rail North Partnership team on a permanent basis.
You will be a member of a team responsible for managing the real time interface, commercial, financial, business planning and contractual relationship with one or more Train Operating Companies (TOCs), liaising with internal/external stakeholders and partners to ensure needs are met.
Responsible for the contract management and monitoring of operational performance for one or more rail passenger service contracts, you will also provide an expert advice service and reporting on all matters pertaining to contract, performance and operation of services to senior management.
Key competencies for this role will see the ideal candidate being proactive in nature, a capable communicator and an enthusiastic team-member with an ability to prioritise tasks and manage own workloads to meet the demands of varying stakeholders.
What we’re looking for:
The ideal candidate will work closely with the relevant Commercial Manager and be responsible the day-to-day contract management of a rail services contract.
Please note the salary for this role will be pro-ratad for 21 hours
Key activities include:
• Managing the relationship between the Train Operating Company (TOC) and the DfT and TfN through the Rail North Partnership.
• Monitoring TOC compliance and the delivery of commitments;
• Monitoring TOC operational and financial performance;
• Producing periodic performance reports for senior management highlighting risks and issues as they arise;
• Provide papers to senior management recommending changes and derogations to the contract;
• Maintaining accurate records of contract-related documentation;
• Producing contractual correspondence between the Partnership and the TOC;
• Providing advice and briefings
• Dealing with correspondence from external stakeholders and the public;
• Support the work stream(s) on contract management excellence for rail service contracts.
In addition, the Contract Manager will be expected to work flexibly to support the delivery of business requirements.
A quality competency we are looking for from the appointed candidate is demonstrable credibility, complemented by sound understanding of contract management and/or procurement principles.
To demonstrate the competence and essential role specifications, the ideal candidate must be degree qualified, or have gained equivalent relevant experience, ideally with specialist knowledge in rail.
Provisional Interview Date: 24th or 25th April 2023
Provisional Interview Location: Remote via MS Teams
In return, as well as a competitive salary, our other benefits include:
• 28 days holiday per annum (Pro-Rata for part time employees)
• Access to the local government pension scheme
• Access to various salary sacrifice benefits, including Travel Pass purchase scheme.
• Access to TfN’s Flexi-Time Scheme – allowing accrual of up to 18 additional days leave per year
• Hybrid working in an agile environment, to suit both personal and business needs
For more information on the role and the kind of person we’re looking for please refer to the role profile and person specification.
For more information on this vacancy and to apply, click here.
If you believe you have the skills and experience we’re looking for please apply online at transportforthenorth.com/vacancies ensuring that in your application you provide evidence in the form of specific examples of how you meet the essential criteria in the role profile.
At TfN, we welcome and encourage applications from everyone regardless of age, disability, gender, ethnicity, religion, and sexual orientation. We are particularly keen to encourage applications from women, members of ethnic minority groups and people with disabilities who are currently under-represented.
As part of our commitment to diversity and inclusion, all applications will be considered on their merit.
As an organisation we always strive to do the right thing and understand that in order to make a difference in our society and workplace, we must be committed to respecting equality and diversity, showing kindness, tackling discrimination and promoting inclusion. We have signed the CIHT Diversity and Inclusion Charter Statement to further endorse our commitment. We are also an accredited Living Wage Employer, which means that every member of staff working for Transport for the North, earns a real Living Wage. TfN is also recognised as Disability Confident employer (stage 2), acting as a Disability Confident champion within our local and business communities and business networks.