Bus Development Analyst (Bus Business Development Team, Bus Operations)
Southwark, London SE1
£35,000 - £40,000 per annum depending on skills, knowledge and experience, plus benefits
London Buses carry the lion’s share of passengers across the capital, offering one of the most affordable and accessible means of travel for up to six million journeys a day, across more than 600 routes. We are also leading the decarbonisation of public transport to tackle climate change with plans to make the fleet zero emission no later than 2034 and driving forward plans to eradicate fatalities involving buses by 2030.
Our bus network is well connected and served by 9,000 vehicles, with our bus contracts worth around £2 billion a year. This makes Bus Operations one of the most dynamic and high-profile places to work, and a great place to get experience in an internationally recognised business.
The Bus Business Development team looks at the best and most affordable strategies for putting initiatives, both large and small, into effect. These are linked to the Mayor’s Transport Strategy and TfL’s Financial Sustainability Plan. As we are in the public eye, the team must also engage with a variety of influential stakeholders and promote our activities to internal and external audiences. Our standalone initiatives such as air quality and fleet improvements are multi-million-pound projects, which deliver strategic business needs.
The Bus Development Analyst role covers a range of exciting activities including supporting measures to improve our contracting policies and the service we provide to our customers. As our operational environment is dynamic and changes on regular basis, the role will require an individual that can adapt, be flexible and work collaboratively to meet business priorities. The role will also require the individual to undertake data analysis and report writing, along with presenting conclusions and recommendations to help inform decision-making.
• Receive, interpret, analyse and summarise data for senior managers both within Buses and across the business to support the delivery of projects and programmes, including air quality and vehicle improvement initiatives.
• To explain and challenge root causes and effects, driving the identification and adoption of remedial actions across and within the wider team to assist senior managers in decision-making such as initiating new projects or introducing new business as usual activity to the Bus Operations directorate.
• Support benchmarking exercises as required and assist in the development of necessary outcomes into strategic initiatives that will drive performance within bus contracts.
• Support the team with business case development, project initiation and sponsorship of projects through provision of data analysis and stakeholder management - developing and maintaining relationships within and across departments and with external stakeholders such as the bus operators and manufacturers.
• Assist with project management responsibility for short term analysis projects and programmes of work, driving improved performance within bus contracts and, supporting a performance-based culture both within TfL and with the bus operators.
• Responsible for assisting the team in sponsoring the delivery of specific projects within the air quality programme, client delivery of work streams and engaging with relevant stakeholders to ensure agreement and delivery to cost and time.
Candidates need a good balance of existing skills, knowledge and/or experience and potential in the following areas:
• Strong problem solving and analytic skills: the ability to analyse and summarise a situation and present a solution is key.
• Excellent attention to detail, to ensure accuracy in requirements gathered and business process flows documented.
• Strong communication and influencing skills.
• The ability to assimilate new information quickly and accurately.
• Excellent spreadsheet and information processing skills. Good IT, literacy and numeracy skills.
• Ability to build strong working relationships with colleagues and external partners.
• Ability to work flexibly as part of an effective, cohesive team to achieve tight deadlines, sometimes under pressured, within the applicants immediate team or as part of the wider Bus Operations team.
• Broad knowledge of London’s public transport, with an understanding of Buses or other contracted operations.
• Understanding of the business and having a wide appreciation of the business environment are imperative.
• Ability to learn about a business area quickly and filter information.
• Understanding of TfL and Bus Operations' business objectives.
• Understand and appreciate the political landscape and the Mayor's objectives for public transport improvements, including the environment, safety or patronage.
• Experience of gathering, collating, analysing and publishing requirements in meaningful formats.
• Experience of operating in a dynamic working environment, handling multiple tasks and deadlines, delivering to time, budget, and quality.
• Experience of public transport operating business (both operational and non-operational).
• Experience of developing and implementing strategy and policy (transport and/or commercial).
In return for your commitment and expertise, you will enjoy excellent benefits and scope to grow. Rewards vary according to the business area but mostly include:
• Final salary pension scheme
• Free travel for you on the TfL network
• A 75% discount on National Rail Season Ticket and interest free loan
• 29/30 days’ annual leave plus public and bank holidays
• Private healthcare discounted scheme (optional)
• Tax-efficient cycle-to-work programme
• Retail, health, leisure and travel offers
• Discounted Eurostar travel
On applying, you will need to upload a CV and a two-page covering letter setting out how your experience fits with this role.
Closing date: 23:59 on Sunday 17 October 2021.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, age or disability status.