Traffic Systems Engineer
£32,029 - £34,788
This is an exciting opportunity to lead, develop and manage the city’s traffic control systems at Brighton & Hove City Council. This will involve managing the council’s contractor in ensuring that city is kept moving, whilst ensuring that this service area is provided efficiently and to excellent customer service standards. While it is a technical role, the council welcomes those that have transferable skills from fields that require technical knowledge.
About the role
We are looking for someone to continue to develop effective and robust procedures to manage the Traffic Signals contract that keeps the systems and equipment working in the traffic control team. You will be working in partnership with contractors, the Police and other stakeholders in ensuring that all highway users can move freely in the city as efficiently as possible achieved by support the city’s transport Control Centre.
You will work with partner organisations, residents and local businesses when developing schemes. To engage with stakeholders, you might be involved in activities such as:
• Working with community groups
• Facilitating consultation
• Providing regular progress updates to residents
Key attributes we will be looking for will be:
• Demonstrable team working abilities
• Showing you can be proactive in identifying, assessing and analysing problems
• Ability to gain the technical knowledge necessary for the role
• People skills to develop relationships with key stakeholders
• Understand how to apply applicants project management skills to the role
• Able to Interpret the legislative and technical specifications that apply to this field
Working using your own initiative will be a key element of the role as some site working will be necessary.
The Traffic Systems Engineer will lead on the provision of specialist and technical support in the design, delivery and management of the city’s Intelligent Transport Systems. You are responsible for ensuring efficient traffic flows within and through the city by using the systems and working with the city’s Traffic Control Centre to minimise delays on the road network. You will manage the city’s Traffic Signals contractor with regards to the commissioning, delivery and monitoring of works on the city’s Traffic Systems.
You will need to provide a high-quality customer-focused Traffic Systems Service, using professional expertise to provide technical engineering advice and deliver works in line with statutory frameworks and guidance.
• Your starting salary will be pro rata if the above position is part-time or term-time only.
• Work Permits: we may be able to obtain a Work Permit for this post, but this is subject to meeting the requirements of the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) Points-based Immigration System.
• From 6 April 2011 the Home Office has placed a permanent restriction on the number of migrant workers that all Tier 2 (General) Sponsors can recruit. Due to the restrictions we cannot guarantee that individuals that meet the requirements of the Points-based Immigration System will be issued with clearance to obtain work permits.
For an informal discussion, please contact Sean Power, Traffic Systems Manager on 01273 290 544.
To apply for this post, please visit our website by clicking 'apply' or clicking here. As part of your application, please provide a copy of your latest CV and answer the branching questions.
Closing date: 22 July 2020
Interviews likely to be w/c 3 August 2020.
We welcome applications from all sections of the community but particularly encourage applicants from a BME or White Other background as well as those who identify as disabled, LGB, female or trans as these groups are currently under-represented in our Directorate workforce.
As part of Brighton & Hove City Council's ongoing commitment to redeployment, please note that this vacancy may be withdrawn at any stage of the recruitment process, without prior notice if a suitable redeployee (internal employee at risk of redundancy) is identified.