33,456 - £36,674
Your new role
As a Transport Planner within the Chief Analysts Division you’ll have a great opportunity to get involved and work on policies, projects and plans relating to the Strategic Road Network. You will use your knowledge and experience to consider safety, climate change, the economy and the environment, whilst working alongside specialists to be able to provide advice and assurance to project teams across the organisation. You will take part in the development of the Regional Transport Models and the identification of schemes for Roads Period 3. If you want to join a progressive team who are able to respond to the changing needs of society and an organisation whose commitment to infrastructure investment will benefit the country, this is the role for you.
What you’ll be leading on
- Apply your specialist knowledge to provide transport planning based analysis on both major and small scale road schemes across the country both internally and through the supply chain
- Ensure that the appropriate policies and procedures are followed in support of the strategic transport modelling and appraisal process
- Ensure compliance with the application of the analytical assurance framework to manage proportionate, risk-based analysis
- Specify and assist in the management of research projects across aspects of transport planning, transport modelling and appraisal as and when required
- Take part in the development of the next generation of the Regional Traffic Models.
To be successful
- Knowledge of the operation of highway and planning authorities and their interaction with the strategic highway authority.
- A level of technical knowledge and experience that could be characterised by an MSc level degree in Transport Planning and experience of applying transport planning techniques.
- Hands on experience of developing and using strategic transport models and an understanding of their strengths and weaknesses.
- Knowledge of how traffic models should be used in the development of evidence bases.
- Intermediate knowledge of Excel and GIS software
A bit about us
The Strategy and Planning Directorate is responsible for developing the future vision and direction for Highways England and within this the Chief Analyst’s Division leads and develops Highways England’s analytical capability. The Transport Planning Group plays a key role in developing and assessing solutions to address highway network issues and provides assurance to decision makers to ensure informed decisions are made.
Want to know more?
If you would like a copy of the job profile please email [email protected]
Video interviews are planned to take place early July.
Why you should join us
At Highways England we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected and know that their wellbeing is valued. We’re proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers.
So, if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion for what you do, work effectively in a team, and demonstrate integrity in how you do it, then you’ll be a great fit for our organisation.
Our vision is that everyone who uses our roads, as well as those who work for us, get home, safe and well. Our Home Safe and Well approach sets out our commitments and how our employees can contribute. Working for us, you’ll recognise the behaviours required to achieve our vision, and help create a fair and just culture for us all. You should be able to fully understand the hazards and risks that are involved in your work, and follow our procedures safely. We want you to feel able to raise health, safety and wellbeing concerns with your colleagues, and to challenge unsafe conditions or behaviours wherever you see them. We’re always seeking to improve our performance, and want you to be at the heart of that - helping us all get home safe and well.
And finally, we reserve the right to close before the advertised closing date, so we recommend completing your application as soon as possible.