Position: Principal Transport Planner
Location: Woolwich, England
Industry: Transport and Rail
Salary: £43,860 - £46,839 per annum
We are looking a fantastic new transport planner to lead the - crucial - active travel section of the Transport Strategy Group’s work. We need someone to lead our walking and cycling strategy, and ‘sponsor’ a number of high-profile programmes.
In June 2019 the Council agreed to set an ambitious target to reach net zero carbon emissions by 2030 - 20 years ahead of the national target. The Royal Borough is developing a highly ambitious vision for transport. An attractive, accessible, healthy and sustainable transport network will help make Royal Greenwich a brilliant place to live, work and play – opening up the great opportunities it offers to all of its residents. We will meet and exceed the Mayor of London’s aim for 80 per cent of all trips in London to be made on foot, by cycle or using public transport by 2041.
The Royal Borough has a track record of delivering great transport investments – which transformational projects like the Greenwich Liveable Neighbourhood and our London Streetspace Plan schemes will build on. With ambitious targets and some big challenges, we need a knowledgeable, experienced, and enthusiastic ‘pacesetter’ to help deliver our objectives.
You will be at the centre of our efforts to create an active, attractive, accessible, healthy and sustainable transport network for Royal Greenwich.
You will be responsible for shaping the Royal Borough’s approach to active travel and sponsoring a range of high-profile programmes that deliver it.
• Identifying priorities for encouraging walking and cycling.
• Developing and building the business case for solutions to these priorities.
• Producing strategies for key transport issues and places.
• Acting as sponsor our walking and cycling investment programmes.
• Leading the development of funding bids, feasibility work and engagement on transformational transport projects.
• Providing leadership to the people working with you.
We are looking for someone experienced in:
• Developing transport policies, strategies, programmes and feasibility studies.
• Developing attractive walking and cycling environments, using Healthy Streets and other best practice methodologies.
• Commissioning and scrutinising technical analyses, forecasts and design proposals.
• Preparing successful bids for external funding.
• Engaging with a wide range of partners and stakeholders: working collaboratively with other bodies; and representing an organisation in formal settings.
• Delivering successful and meaningful consultations.
• Analysing complex data and communicating your conclusions to different audiences (in writing and in person).
The job description and person specification for the role can be found on the application page here.
To discuss the role please contact Ryan Bunce, Transport Strategy Manager
Royal Borough of Greenwich reserves the right to close any vacancy earlier than the advertised closing date should there be a high volume of applications received.