Head of Transport
£54,456 - £59,914 - Plus market leading package (see below)
Derbyshire County Council have an exciting new opportunity for Head of Transport within our Place Department. Our Department is embarking on a challenging and exciting transformation programme, led by the newly appointed Executive Director.
This role is a fantastic opportunity for an experienced strategic and operational senior manager to join our senior leadership team and provide clear strategic management and operational leadership for our passenger and fleet transport services.
You’ll be with working closely with a wide range of partners both internal and external, at both regional and local levels acting as the Council’s lead expert in the strategic and operational aspects of these services ensuring the overall effectiveness of service delivery , driving efficiencies, cultural shift and the departmental transformation agenda.
Key aspects of this role also include:
- Developing effective partnerships with commercial bus operators to deliver the Bus Service Improvement Plan with improvements in accessibility and sustainability
- Being responsible for the provision and management of transport services on behalf of Childrens and Adult Social Care Departments
- Being responsible for the provision of a cost effective, high quality fleet service provision covering all appropriate aspects of fleet procurement, management and maintenance
- Developing and implementing plans to ensure that the provision of the county’s fleet and transport services contribute fully to the authority’s carbon reduction targets through use of alternative technologies and innovative service provision
- Ensuring the Fleet Services section is provided on a sound financial basis in accordance with the council’s financial regulations and that the business model provides best value for money
This list is not exhaustive, take a look at our comprehensive job profile on our Derbyshire County Council jobs website for more detail.
What skills/experience will you need?
- Substantial managerial experience at a senior level in a directly related field and the ability to objectively assess need and make strategic decisions in relation to service priorities and work across service boundaries
- Great leadership skills to lead and manage a multi functional service in a customer lead environment.
- Knowledge and understanding of at least three of the following: Local Transport Plan preparation, land use planning, public and specialist transport operations, accessibility planning, sustainability, fleet management
- Managing a number of substantial service revenue and capital budgets and identifying efficiencies or invest to save opportunities coupled with the ability to apply commercial practices to public sector services to generate income
- Ability to lead multi-agency strategic partnerships to develop long term strategies and deliver shared outcomes.
- Project and programme leadership and management skills to build high levels of confidence in the delivery of complex projects
- Ability to apply commercial practices to public sector services to generate income with sound financial and business awareness
Derbyshire is a wonderful place to live, visit and work. The post will be based at County Hall at Matlock, in the heart of the Derbyshire Dales.
And what’s in it for you?
- 34 days of annual leave
- Flexible working scheme allowing up to an additional 2 days off per month
- Generous local government pension scheme
- Guaranteed incremental annual pay increases
- Discounts at selected county leisure centres
- Cycle to work scheme
- Free online health and exercise sessions
…and much more!
Derbyshire County Council are going through a period of positive development and transformation so it’s a great time to join and drive change.
We are accepting CV’s for this position so it’s easier than ever to apply, but if you would rather submit a standard application form, details on how to do this are available here.
For an informal and confidential chat about the role please contact our Environment & Transport Director, Claire Brailsford – [email protected]