Job Title – Road Safety Engineer
Fixed term – 2 years, Full time – 36 hours per week
Salary - £44,628 - £47,661 per annum
Hounslow Council is an outstanding council serving an outstanding borough. With brilliant, visionary leadership, a dynamic Cabinet and a can-do culture, we’ve built strong partnerships across the borough which have transformed how we serve one of London’s most diverse boroughs. Exciting things are happening and our diverse team is finding all sorts of ways to make our borough an even better place to be for our residents and visitors alike.
About the Team
Our Transport Planning & Road Safety team is central to our success, dealing with a wide range of transport planning issues. We are responsible for developing and implementing the Council’s Transport Strategy, promoting sustainable travel, developing strategic public transport projects, providing cycle training for our residents, and promoting road safety education.
We’re looking for a Road Safety Engineer to help us ensure that road safety is at the core of our plans.
Road safety has been highlighted as a major barrier to active travel so it is essential that we use collision data and high-quality design to ensure that all our highway works, including those related to new developments, maximise safety benefits, especially for pedestrians and cyclists.
You will sit within the Transport Planning & Road Safety team, working closely with colleagues in the road safety and transport planning teams, as well as our Capital Delivery team to ensure that road safety is at the heart of all we do.
• You will help to ensure that our capital delivery programme responds to road safety data, working with the Road Safety Manager and other colleagues on an evidence-based approach to delivery, proposing responses to identified problems, and feeding into our programme of works. You will be able to prepare initial design responses to identified problems and will work with the capital delivery team to ensure all schemes continue to provide road safety outcomes through detailed design and delivery.
• You will help to progress development-related highways agreements. Working with colleagues in our Transport Planning team you will review development proposals, ensuring that all proposed highway mitigation measures meet current design and road safety standards. You will provide input to planning applications to ensure initial designs are acceptable and once permission has been received you will review submitted Road Safety Audits and ensure that the detailed designs meet appropriate national and local standards including our Street Scene Design Guide.
• You will have experience of designing road safety engineering schemes, undertaking or reviewing Road Safety Audits and will be fully conversant with latest design guidance. You’ll be part of a creative team with clear values centered around curiosity, making things happen, seeing the bigger picture, collaborating and achieving positive outcomes.
• You work positively with colleagues in the team and across the organisation to ensure consistent good practice and have experience of project management including management of budgets and experience in managing staff and/or consultants.
• You are able to negotiate effectively, preparing and applying sound and persuasive arguments to secure positive outcomes from negotiations. You are able to convey messages effectively, creating a positive impact on the listeners(s); produce clear, succinct and well-structured written work; reflect on information and are then able to take decisive and effective action.
Essential for the Role
1. You will have a civil engineering, or similar, qualification and experience of working in a traffic and/or transport planning environment.
2. You will have an excellent understanding of current guidance and best practice in road safety engineering and design guidance.
3. You will have a good understanding about current road safety and active travel policy and guidance.
4. Above all, you’ll have the enthusiasm, ambition and skills to help deliver our Transport Strategy, deliver a programme based on Healthy streets and Vision Zero principles, feed into a green recovery, help tackle the Climate Emergency, and protect the environment.
For more information and how to apply contact: [email protected] or 0208 583 5056
To apply please click on the link below: https://bit.ly/3MGtvmt