Milton Keynes is a rapidly expanding, vibrant and dynamic place to live, work and play. How better to contribute to that continued success than through a unique and rewarding career with Milton Keynes Council. So if you’re looking for an excellent benefits package and the chance to make a difference, make a move to Milton Keynes Council.
An exciting career opportunity has arisen for a Senior Transport Planner within the Transport Policy and Planning Team. Milton Keynes is at the forefront nationally and internationally of a range of transport innovations and mobility solutions. The city is also at the centre of the Oxford to Cambridge growth corridor, and will benefit significantly from future planned transport investment as part of this. The post holder will be given the opportunity to be heavily involved in this and play a key role in turning our transport plans into reality. In addition to supporting our transport planning and policy functions, they will lead on work to maintain and implement a pipeline of transport schemes to progress improvements in the local transport system. This will directly benefit local residents and transport users, and facilitate our ambitious local growth plans.
- Manage the identification of transport schemes to support the Council’s Mobility Strategy, including public transport schemes, walking and cycling schemes, highways schemes and technological initiatives.
- Provide professional advice relating to transport policy, and lead on work to research, write and adopt new transport policies and strategies.
- Manage the preparation of business cases to support scheme development.
- Manage the development of transport schemes in line with defined priorities, ensuring that a portfolio of shovel-ready schemes are in place to exploit funding opportunities.
- Proactively identify funding opportunities.
- Work closely in partnership with businesses, developers, transport operators and other stakeholders.
- Manage the process for transport scheme prioritisation within the council.
- Ensure resources are in place to successfully develop a portfolio of schemes and report progress.
- Report on the development of projects and programmes as necessary through agreed governance arrangements.
Experience & Qualifications
- Substantial experience of working in transport policy and planning roles.
- Experience interpreting complex data to develop suitable infrastructure schemes.
- Experience managing, supervising and coordinating outputs from internal staff and external consultants.
- Experience in procuring and overseeing consultancy support.
- Degree or equivalent in a related subject.
- Ability to write reports on complex strategic issues and present them to a range of audiences.
- Ability to manage, supervise and coordinate output from internal staff and external consultants.
- Project Management, budget monitoring and research skills.
- Knowledge of development management processes and Local Authority governance arrangements and processes.
- Ability to interpret outputs from transport models.
- Methodical and well organised with the ability to produce quality work.
- Ability to build strong partnerships with a range of partners and external stakeholders.
- Proficient IT skills in the use of Word, Excel, Project and Powerpoint.
Departmental Benefits of this role
- Excellent potential to progress career as a transport professional by gaining experience with a forward thinking urban transport authority where growth and innovation are embraced.
- Varied workload.
- Training and development opportunities.
- Agile working.
Milton Keynes Council Benefits
Use your skills to benefit the local community and experience a rewarding, interesting environment and attractive employment package such as:
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates.
- A generous minimum holiday entitlement of 27 days per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years.
- Option to buy more annual leave.
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements.
- Excellent in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership and Management.
- Flexibility – with full time, part time and term time working options.
- Fair pay and a commitment to a minimum Living Wage.
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings including retail, travel and leisure discounts as well as a suite of salary sacrifice benefits.
For further details and to apply, please visit the Milton Keynes Council Careers website https://bit.ly/2K0WdNY and fill in the application form.
Closing date for receipt of applications: 27th August 2018
Interview date: w/c 3rd September 2018
At Milton Keynes Council we take great pride in our Community and we hope that you can help us grow and share our vision.