Senior Active Travel Officer
Closing date: 13th October, 2022
Reference number: SCC03609
37 hours per week
Salary: £30,984 to £35,336 per annum
Full time, Permanent
Taunton, TA1 4DY
A bit about us
We have a fantastic opportunity for a Senior Active Travel Officer to join our Highways and Transport Service.
We are looking for a dynamic and enthusiastic person to join our team of transport policy officers responsible for determining the future direction of the Council’s services; developing policy and strategy, infrastructure programmes, new ways of working and transformation proposals. We offer both a flexible working environment and flexible working hours.
Our busy team commissions all highways and transport services for Somerset including passenger transport and parking services, highway maintenance, infrastructure programmes, rights of way, traffic management, engineering and road safety programmes. We are responsible for developing policy and strategy, new transport plans and programmes for towns and transport corridors, active travel policy and programmes, plans for decarbonisation of the transport system, bids and business cases for new funding; and determining the most appropriate means of service delivery (considering in-house or contracted services including developing procurement strategies). We work closely with the Council’s operational services who are responsible for delivery.
We are passionate and committed to transforming our communities by enabling housing and economic growth in the area; developing effective transport solutions, establishing a clear pathway to decarbonisation, securing investment in new infrastructure and developing innovative approaches to urban and rural transport challenges. We work hard to create desirable places for people to live and work as part of Somerset’s ambitious growth plans which include major enterprise zones and extensions to our main towns including Taunton’s new garden communities. Somerset provides fantastic opportunities to become engaged in some of the most ambitious growth projects in the Country, as well as tackling challenging problems associated with rural accessibility.
Here's what you can expect to be doing
You will be responsible for the development of long-term policy, strategy and plans for active travel in Somerset; helping to deliver integrated, safe and direct routes for walking, cycling and other active modes that connect our communities across the County.
You will advise on the requirements and implications of directives and central government thinking and seek to develop the necessary policies, investment priorities and develop new bids for funding for Somerset.
You will work closely with colleagues on infrastructure plans for towns, corridors and major housing developments to create effective active travel solutions. You will work with local campaign groups, parish and town councils and internal departments to develop a network fit for purpose and deliver behaviour change to increase mode shift to active modes.
A few things about you
• Educated to degree level or equivalent through relevant professional development.
• Experience in active travel and/or sustainable transport, preferably in a policy environment.
• Demonstrable experience of partnership working including the ability to influence and, where appropriate, lead multi-agency groups and projects to deliver services and initiatives.
• Demonstrable experience of engagement with communities and customer feedback channels to shape and inform improved services.
• Demonstrable experience in utilising and commissioning data and research to inform strategy, policy and delivery.
The salary for the role is Grade 10, ranging from £30,984 to £35,336 per annum
We are able to offer flexible working arrangements, including some working from home and part time hours.
If you would like to find out more about before applying, please get in touch with Matthew Prince by email via [email protected]
Please apply online by clicking on the link below: https://bit.ly/3Ss8sai
Why choose Somerset County Council
• We are proud to offer an environment that is supportive and rewarding, working as part of a team who are passionate about the work they do to improve the lives of people in Somerset. We offer great training and development opportunities, with supportive management. As well as this, we have some fantastic employee benefits available:
• We promote a healthy work-life balance and offer flexible working arrangements wherever possible, including working from home.
• Generous annual leave allowance, with the opportunity to purchase additional leave.
• Staff discounts in gyms.
• Employee Assistance for the times you may need some support and a variety of employee wellbeing services.
• Auto enrolment onto our generous Pension Scheme and optional pension enhancement through our Additional Voluntary Contribution scheme.
• A Flexible Benefits Scheme via salary sacrifice to obtain a cycle for work and health screenings.
• My Staff Shop offering discounts in shops, online shopping, restaurants, cinema tickets, insurance benefits and more.