Mass Transit Design & Engineering Manager / PD/T2
Grade N - Salary £55,352
Permanent / Full Time (37 hours pw)
Leeds City Centre (Temporarily Remote Working)
Closing Date – 10 October 2021
The West Yorkshire Combined Authority have ambitious plans to develop our transport schemes of the future, including a new mass transit network for the region. With our elected West Yorkshire Mayor, Tracy Brabin, the first woman to be elected as a Metro Mayor, we have access to funding from Government to take forward our ambitious connectivity plans.
We are therefore looking for a new Mass Transit Design & Engineering Manager who can lead the design of deliverable, innovative, value for money, and integrated mass transit solutions, across a range of possible technology options including Bus Rapid Transit, Light Rail, Ultra-Light Rail and Tram-Train.
We also have several other roles focussed on mass transit including a Head of Transport and Mass Transit Development, an Environment and Place Manager and a Project Manager.
It is an exciting time to be joining the Combined Authority, following the £1.8bn devolution deal and the election of our first Mayor of West Yorkshire. Devolution will enable us to drive up living standards for local communities while tackling the climate emergency and help deliver our commitment to become a net zero carbon city region by 2038. Our transition to a Mayoral Combined Authority also allows us access to a range of new funding opportunities, including a £4.2 billion fund which will potentially enable delivery of our mass transit proposals.
Reporting into the Head of Transport and Mass Transit Development, your key responsibilities will include:
- Leading the development, certification and assurance of the design and engineering of the Mass Transit programme ensuring deliverable, innovative, value for money, and integrated mass transit solutions, across a range of possible technology options including Bus Rapid Transit, Light Rail, Ultra-Light Rail and Tram-Train.
- Fostering a culture of integration, partnership and collaboration, applying best practice from UK and overseas into the Mass Transit design.
- Leading the design, engineering and systems workstream deliverables including modularisation, Depots, Power Supply/systems, Structures, Vehicle Technology, Permanent Way design, Asset Management, System Controls and Communications systems.
- You will have a track record of success in management of multidiscipline engineering projects and teams in transportation, including light rail / bus rapid transit / tram-train / ultra-light rail.
- A demonstrable track record of practical and successful experience of design management, engineering and construction management and integration and interface management with relevant qualifications.
- Experience of working in partnership with others including political members, suppliers, public and private organisations, and residents.
- Experience of leading, managing and developing a high performing team
Alongside a competitive salary, we offer an excellent benefits package including:
- 28 days annual leave plus bank holidays
- Generous employer contribution pension scheme
- Fully funded travel in West Yorkshire on bus and rail with the MCard
- Flexible working practises with Health and Wellbeing initiatives to ensure you achieve the best work/life balance and career goals.
Applicants are advised that the Combined Authority is currently in consultation with employees and Trade Unions to review the Terms and Conditions of Employment and Staff Benefits.
The detail of the proposals for change, will be discussed with the successful candidate at the point of offer.
Please apply by 11:55pm on 10 October 2021.
The Combined Authority’s aim is to attract people from diverse backgrounds to build on our inclusive culture and represent the communities we serve. We welcome applications from everyone regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, transgender status, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity. Applicants with a disability are guaranteed an interview, subject to the minimum criteria being met.
We are committed to inclusivity and will consider requests for flexible working including part time and job share arrangements.
Please note that whilst it is our policy to recruit at SP1 for all appointments, which is the salary stated above, each role includes career salary progression, with incremental increases applicable in most cases, on an annual basis.
Due to the high volumes of applications we receive, we are unable to respond to every applicant. If you have not heard from us within four weeks of the closing date, please assume that your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.