Senior Bus Client Manager
Southwark, London SE1
Circa £70,000 per annum, plus benefits
Our iconic bus network carries over 6 million people a day, with 9,000 buses operating on over 600 routes. Our London Bus contracts are worth up to £2bn a year, and standalone initiatives such as bus priority are multi-million-pound projects.
Keeping London’s 9,000 buses flowing smoothly along the road network is essential for our customers, and we’re looking for someone to lead the team that ensures planned investment including new road schemes are designed with bus customers in mind.
Buses are changing, and there are a number of key Mayoral commitments that Buses are delivering in harmony with our Healthy Streets, Decarbonisation, Vision Zero and financial targets.
The Senior Bus Client manager maintains oversight of ongoing investment and policy development activity at TfL that could impact upon bus performance, and acts as the client for the bus community to ensure that the outputs of road schemes optimise the benefits for buses within our overall TfL Surface Transport strategic objectives.
Leading a small team, this is an important role in the Bus Operations Senior Management Team, with key interfaces with senior leaders across TfL, Bus Operator directors, and a range of other external stakeholders including boroughs and the GLA, as we look to build our ridership though improving the quality of service and journeys for our customers.
• Accountable for leading a team of Bus Client Officers, developing and influencing departmental culture through strong leadership and role modelling the TfL Behaviours. This includes ensuring regular team meetings, staff development and effective performance management
• Work closely with key stakeholders e.g. City Planning and Investment Delivery Planning teams to resolve potential conflicts between Surface Transport outcomes, whilst ensuring that the bus outcomes benefits are assured and bus performance is protected through the planning and design of other investment programmes
• Lead in building a culture of continuous improvement, delivering clear value for fare and tax payers’ money, developing business capability, resilience and organisational effectiveness in all areas
• Accountable for identifying and defining project and programmes scope/requirements across for bus related work-streams ensuring consistent application of TfL transport strategy and agreed outcomes
• Responsible for providing advice within TfL and to external parties as to how best to achieve the required bus outcomes through effective and targeted investment projects
• Accountable for establishing and maintaining strategic internal and external stakeholder relationships
• Accountable for responding in a consistent and articulate manner to external correspondence, enquiries and consultations including from the media, Ministers, MPs, Assembly Members, Councillors, Mayor’s Questions, Boroughs and FOI requests
• Provide guidance throughout the project life-cycle of sponsored projects, ensuring consistent PMO & Periodic Reporting takes place, and for ensure Benefits Management is effective. Accountable for agreeing project milestones and ensuring these are achieved across the team
• Accountable for keeping projects within governance e.g. Project Authority papers, change control etc. ensuring these are produced to a high standard and consulted on at a senior level across the business.
Skills, Knowledge & Experience
Candidates need a good balance of existing skills, knowledge and/or experience and potential in the following areas:
• Ability to engage effectively at all levels of the TfL business and GLA and influence and negotiate with senior internal, external, and political stakeholders
• Ability to resolve conflict at a senior internal and external level
• Ability to organise and present clear and high quality information to senior stakeholder groups
• Ability to prioritise between multiple requirements in a structured but open minded way
• Ability to work independently with limited guidance
• Strong analytical skills and ability to handle complex data and legal information, and translate understanding into guidance to support investment decisions
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills and computer literate.
• Exemplary knowledge of Transport Planning and policy in a context relevant to TfL Surface Transport
• Knowledge of project and programme sponsorship in the public sector, which may include a formal qualification in project and/or programme management
• Exemplary understanding of business case development and benefits management.
• In-depth understanding of TfL and Surface Transport strategy, policies, governance, corporate standards and guidelines
• Extensive knowledge of highways infrastructure-related consents, safety protocols, design standards and modelling techniques
• Excellent knowledge of emerging best practices in transport, traffic, public realm and urban design.
• Excellent knowledge of stakeholder management techniques and understanding of the current political landscape
• Extensive experience in managing, developing and obtaining results from colleagues.
• Extensive experience of clienting or delivering high value (over £50m) complex infrastructure-related or business change projects, programmes or portfolios, including experience of working with cost forecasts and budgets.
• Experience of portfolio prioritisation, balancing conflicting requirements including funding, time and resource.
• Extensive experience of internal and external stakeholder management at a senior Director and political level and working with operational teams to assure successful outcomes and benefits of investment programmes.
• Experience of interpreting complex information and communicating it effectively
In return for your commitment and expertise, you will enjoy excellent benefits and scope to grow. Rewards vary according to the business area but mostly include:
• Final salary pension scheme
• Free travel for you on the TfL network
• A 75% discount on National Rail Season Ticket and interest free loan
• 30 days’ annual leave plus public and bank holidays
• Private healthcare discounted scheme (optional)
• Tax-efficient cycle-to-work programme
• Retail, health, leisure and travel offers
• Discounted Eurostar travel
On applying, you will need to upload a CV and a two-page covering letter setting out how your experience fits with this role.
Closing date: 23:59 on Sunday 24October 2021.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, age or disability status.