Established as Aktiebolaget Skånska Cementgjuteriet in 1887, the new business specialised in manufacturing concrete products. Within ten years it had become a fully-fledged construction company playing a key role in building Sweden’s infrastructure. Its first international order came in 1897 – for concrete blocks that carried telephone cables to Leeds, Liverpool and Bradford.
The company was listed on the Stockholm Stock Exchange A-list in 1965 and, in 1971, entered the USA, now its largest market. The company’s name changed to Skanska in 1984.
In the 1990s, Skanska established itself in Europe and South America and started to develop commercial and residential properties.
Through organic growth and a string of successful acquisitions Skanska became a global company. Today, the company operates around the world in selected home markets in Europe, the US and Latin America, Skanska is headquartered in Sweden’s capital, Stockholm.