Senior Transport Planner / Senior Transport Modeller (starting salary £33,782)
We are looking for an experienced Transport Planner / Transport Modeller who is self-motivated and able to work in a pressured environment as a specialist transport professional to join Lancashire County Council as we continue to develop and deliver a programme of major transport infrastructure investment.
We are a dedicated, multi-disciplinary team established providing civil engineering, transport planning/modelling and environmental planning services to deliver an ambitious programme of works.
Through the Preston, South Ribble and Lancashire City Deal we are well underway in delivering largest coordinated investment in highway and transport infrastructure in Lancashire for forty years. Funded by City Deal capital investment exceeding £350 million, we've been busy delivering major road schemes, active travel and public transport improvements and public realm enhancements across Central Lancashire to support housing development and economic growth in the Preston city region.
Through the Preston Transforming Cities Fund we're also delivering a new Railway Station in north-west Preston and transformational placemaking enhancements in the City centre.
Our exciting and ever expanding portfolio includes a further £140 million investment in Lancaster through the Housing Infrastructure Deliver Fund. We are gearing up to deliver a challenging programme of major infrastructure, including a new junction on the M6, to support growth in South Lancaster.
An excellent opportunity has arisen for a transport planner/transport modeller to join us as the team expands in response to an increasing work programme, building on our success to date.
About the role:
The successful candidate will be working as part of the transport planning/modelling section of this highly skilled, multi-disciplinary team. Day to day you will have a wide range of responsibilities as you oversee projects through the full life cycle. There will be a strong focus on transport modelling and traffic engineering in addition to data analysis.
You will work in collaboration with other subject matter specialist, stakeholders and framework consultants and will have the opportunity to share your skills and knowledge by training and supporting our junior staff.
Reporting to the teams Principal Transport Planner, you can expect to be active on a number of projects at any given time – these can vary in both scale and nature, making the workload extremely interesting and technically challenging.
• A relevant transport planning or transport engineering degree or similar and a minimum of 3 years post qualification relevant experience in the public or private sector;
• Ability to apply both creative-thinking and methodical / logical approaches to problem solving coupled with attention to detail;
• Experience of working with specialist software packages (e.g. SATURN, Aimsun, VISSIM, LinSig and Junctions 9);
• In-depth knowledge and understanding of transport modelling and an ability to interpret modelling outputs and explain complicated concepts clearly and succinctly;
• Strong analytical and numeracy skills and competency in data analysis packages, such as Excel;
• Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills;
• Good technical report writing skills;
• Ability to work under pressure and flexibility to manage a diverse workload.
• A broad knowledge of transport policy and appraisal issues and techniques, and how transport modelling can be used to support and enhance other areas of transport planning and policy;
• A passion for transportation and a genuine awareness of the current climate change and decarbonisation agenda and the role that transport planning can play in tackling the issues we are facing;
• A good knowledge of local and national design standards, guidance and good practice (DMRB, TSRGD, DfT TAG, Traffic Signs Manual) and a good understanding of relevant processes and legislation;
• Experience of AutoCAD software
Education / Qualifications:
• Bachelor and higher qualification (or equivalent) in relevant subject (i.e. MSc Transport Planning / Transport Engineering)
• Professional membership of a relevant institution such as CIHT or TPS
If you are an experienced planning professional, this will be a unique opportunity to join an exciting, forward thinking team and take your career to the next level.