Milton Keynes Council
Senior Transport Planner
Full time 37 hrs / permanent
Salary: £29,055 - £33,136
Want to take one of the fastest growing and most innovative of cities to new heights?
You’ve come to the right place. Milton Keynes might be one of the last new towns, but it’s fast on track to become the largest South East England city outside of London, and we need people to help get us there.
We are now recruiting for a Senior Transport Planner.
This is an exciting opportunity within the Transport Policy and Planning Team. Milton Keynes is at the forefront nationally and internationally of a range of transport innovations and mobility solutions. The city is also at the centre of the Oxford to Cambridge growth corridor, and will benefit significantly from future planned transport investment.
The post holder will be given the opportunity to be heavily involved in this and play a key role in turning our transport plans into reality. In addition to supporting our transport planning and policy functions, they will lead on work to maintain and implement a pipeline of transport schemes to progress improvements in the local transport system. This will directly benefit local residents and transport users, and facilitate our ambitious local growth plans.
• Manage the identification of transport schemes to support the Council’s Mobility Strategy, including public transport schemes, walking and cycling schemes, highways schemes and technological initiatives.
• Provide professional advice relating to transport policy, and lead on work to research, write and adopt new transport policies and strategies.
• Manage the preparation of business cases to support scheme development.
• Manage the development of transport schemes in line with defined priorities, ensuring that a portfolio of shovel-ready schemes are in place to exploit funding opportunities.
• Proactively identify funding opportunities
• Work closely in partnership with businesses, developers, transport operators and other stakeholders
• Manage the process for transport scheme prioritisation within the council
• Ensure resources are in place to successfully develop a portfolio of schemes and report progress.
• Report on the development of projects and programmes as necessary through agreed governance arrangements
Use your skills to benefit the local community and experience a rewarding, interesting environment and attractive employment package such as:
• Excellent potential to progress career as a transport professional by gaining experience with a forward thinking urban transport authority where growth and innovation are embraced
• Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates
• A generous minimum holiday entitlement of 27 days per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years. With the option to buy more annual leave
• A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements
• Excellent in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership and Management
• Flexibility – with full time, part time and term time working option
• Fair pay and a commitment to a minimum Living Wage
• MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings including retail, travel and leisure discounts as well as a suite of salary sacrifice benefits.
At Milton Keynes Council we take great pride in our Community and we hope that you can help us grow and share our vision.
Closing date 7 April 2019.
Interviews will take place during w/c 15 April 2019.